Any reason not to have a smart meter as nPower are virtually forcing them on us

Options
UKSBD
UKSBD Posts: 798 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I received a message a few weeks ago from nPower saying,

"Meter Safety
It's time for your meter to have a safety inspection, as the last check was done on 01/08/2016. Every meter has to be checked at least once every two years to make sure it's safe to use. You don't need to do anything at the moment; we'll get one of our team to do the check soon."

Just received another message about confirming date of work saying

"Your appointment isn't confirmed
We're planning to install your Smart meter between 12pm - 4pm on Wednesday 12 September but we need you to confirm the appointment. We'll only attend appointments that have been confirmed."

The only way I can confirm the date is by agreeing to have a smart meter fitted.

Can they do this, does anyone have a link to the terms about nPower smart meters and is there any reason not to just agree and let them install one?

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Simply don't confirm the appointment!

It isn't necessary to have one.

In theory you only need to hold out until agreeing until November, when in theory you should have a second generation SM fitted at a later date (if ready!)
  • UKSBD
    Options
    Is there any reason not to have one?

What's the difference between the existing and 2nd generation ones?
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Eon use the same tactics.......if you don't want a smart meter just ignore and if by chance they do turn up unannounced.........well I know where I'd tell them to go
    They are getting desperate to meet the meaningless smart meter targets set by the government
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Options
    Is it eon or is it a third party installer? I had a similar email when I was with BG with no option to decline, just never confirmed and was okay.

@UKSBD - first gen often only work for your current supplier, so when you move they become dumb, i.e. you have to manually read from the display (and the remote unit usually also stops working) and its been known for the display on the unit to be hard to see.
  • UKSBD
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    @UKSBD - first gen often only work for your current supplier, so when you move they become dumb, i.e. you have to manually read from the display (and the remote unit usually also stops working) and its been known for the display on the unit to be hard to see.

Thanks,
    so if it is a 1st generation they are planning to fit don't let them, if they are fitting 2nd generation in our area, no reason not to let them?

I've since seen there is a cancel option that asks if you don't want a smart meter which when clicking gives a number to ring.

I might ring them and say only do it when they are doing the 2nd generations and see what they say.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2018 at 6:54PM
    Options
    UKSBD wrote: »
    I received a message a few weeks ago from nPower saying,

"Meter Safety
    It's time for your meter to have a safety inspection, as the last check was done on 01/08/2016. Every meter has to be checked at least once every two years to make sure it's safe to use. You don't need to do anything at the moment; we'll get one of our team to do the check soon."

Just received another message about confirming date of work saying

"Your appointment isn't confirmed
    We're planning to install your Smart meter between 12pm - 4pm on Wednesday 12 September but we need you to confirm the appointment. We'll only attend appointments that have been confirmed."

The only way I can confirm the date is by agreeing to have a smart meter fitted.

Can they do this, does anyone have a link to the terms about nPower smart meters and is there any reason not to just agree and let them install one?

You are confusing and/or incorrectly joing the contents of 2 seperate emails.

email 1 asks you to grant access to the supplier to view your meter.
    email 2 is about smart meters.

I suggest you have no option over the email 1 request. (aklthough as it says, you need do nothing at present)
    You do have an option over email 2. i.e. just ignore it.

So instead of your supplier virtually forcing smart meters onto you I suggest you do nothing yet anout email 1 (as the supplier advices) and also do nothing about email 2 (if you don't want them to turn up when they say they would like to)

So in answer to your question, "Can they do this?", I would ask what exactly you are asking. I don't see the supplier asking you do do anything at present (unless you want to)
    Yes, your supplier can ask to see the current meter, and you will be expected to grant them access to it. If you continually deny them access (e.g. because you are not in when they call), then they will ask you to arrange a mutually convienient date & time. But they haven't got that far yet.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 August 2018 at 6:57PM
    Options
    Some providers like EON/Scottish Power will push a software update to the meters to perform as v2 and allow portability. Personally if you don't have one installed yet I'd wait for the updated metres that are prob being developed.
  • gardner1
    Options
    Thanks,
    so if it is a 1st generation they are planning to fit don't let them, if they are fitting 2nd generation in our area, no reason not to let them?

I've since seen there is a cancel option that asks if you don't want a smart meter which when clicking gives a number to ring.

I might ring them and say only do it when they are doing the 2nd generations and see what they say.

But if your happy taking your own meter readings and are capable of turning off/ down light or heating why bother
  • gardner1
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    Some providers like EON/Scottish Power will push a software update to the meters to perform as v2 and allow portability. Personally if you don't have one installed yet I'd wait for the updated metres that are prob being developed.

You just know those updates will cause mass problems.........I can see the DM headline now "Smart Meter Meltdown":D
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks,

As hardly anyone has a 2nd generation meter yet, I suggest caution.
    How can you be sure what they will actually do?

But if you are desperate to have a smart meter, then get one today. They promise they can be upgraded later.

Whether or not you accept such promises is a question only you can answeer, but you seem to be happy to accept promises for what a 2nd gen. meter can do...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure