Fixed or Variable - Cheap Energy Club (Outfox the market) ?

Options
tawse57
tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I just used the MSE Cheap Energy Club guide and it shows a load of companies to consider.

The top - cheapest - one is something called Outfox the Market which appears to be a variable price. I assume that means the prices could go up whenever they chose to increase them?

Apologies for being a numpty but I thought the point of changing energy suppliers was to lock in a price for 12 months and hence effectively cap what you are paying?

Or have I got that wrong?

Thanks for any info.
This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.

Comments

• Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tawse57 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just used the MSE Cheap Energy Club guide and it shows a load of companies to consider.

The top - cheapest - one is something called Outfox the Market which appears to be a variable price. I assume that means the prices could go up whenever they chose to increase them?

Apologies for being a numpty but I thought the point of changing energy suppliers was to lock in a price for 12 months and hence effectively cap what you are paying?

Or have I got that wrong?

Thanks for any info.

You you have got that completely right. You are indeed wrong.

Try this:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
  • tawse57
    Options
    Skools_Out wrote: »
    You you have got that completely right. You are indeed wrong.

Try this:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

Read that already thanks - was looking for some constructive help / answer to my question.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No the point is not to lock in for 12 months .The point is to compare . Comparison what's available .
    You then decide what suits you best .

Though 12 months is a normal FIXED tariff .

Fixed if you think prices will rise /
    Variable if you really think they will drop .

Fixes longer than 12 months can be available .
    A 2 year fix Feb 2018 is the route i choose .
    With two different suppliers .
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2018 at 4:20PM
    Options
    tawse57 wrote: »
    Read that already thanks - was looking for some constructive help / answer to my question.

If you failed to find my previous response constructive, I somehow feel you will find this one equally unconstructive.

But perhaps it will assist others who have a similar issue? :)

I would suggest you read it again, and hopefully you will then see that you are correct in that you are wrong.

May I also suggest you look particularly carefully as the Q&As, particularly over short or long term fixed rates. Whilst that itself demonstrates why you are correct to assume you are wrong in your understanding, if you were to consider a variable rate tariff as an extremely short fixed rate one, then that may cast some more light on the answer you are seeking.

ETA: You may also wish to think about why the CEC has various filtering options available to you such as showing just Fixed & Capped tariffs, Fixed & Capped tariffs that last at least 18 months, and just variable tariffs , as well as the default setting of all tariffs ;)

ETA2: Outfox The Market are one of the numerous new suppliers of energy. Therefore they rely on consumers switching to them, unlike the Big 6 who started off with millions of legacy customers.
    OFTM, as well as some other new suppliers, only appear to offer a variable tariff.
    If you were correct in your understanding, why would anyone switch to them.
    Hence why you are correct in that you are wrong in your understanding.
  • tawse57
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    No the point is not to lock in for 12 months .The point is to compare . Comparison what's available .
    You then decide what suits you best .

Though 12 months is a normal FIXED tariff .

Fixed if you think prices will rise /
    Variable if you really think they will drop .

Fixes longer than 12 months can be available .
    A 2 year fix Feb 2018 is the route i choose .
    With two different suppliers .

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure