🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can replacing old storage heaters with new, efficient electric heaters improve the EPC?

Options
2»

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    blizeH wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this please? Obviously we don't want to outlay a load of money for this to be the case.

Also, another factor is that I'm thinking in the future electricity will be cleaner than gas... or at least that's the hope. Especially if the tenant goes with someone like Ecotricity (which they likely won't, I know)

Electricity is c. 13p/kWh unit whereas gas is around 3-4p/kWh unit. It isnt quite as straight forwards as saying gas is 3-4 times cheaper because a gas system loses heat and so isnt 100% efficient, but gas systems are cheaper.

There arent a hell of a lot of publications regarding the future of electricity prices. However, electricity prices are expected to rise higher than gas to cover for the country's investment in nuclear power and other low/zero carbon technologies. As is done now to pay for the financial incentives to generate renewable electricity, this will just form part of the electricity tariff.

It is conceivable that electricity tariffs will double in the next 10 years whereas gas is less likely to, despite the fact that we are likely to import more gas over the coming years.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    fairy dust filled "efficient" heater from some fishy business

I see what you did there ;)
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2018 at 6:57PM
    Options
    Information taken from my EPC on house I sold last year which had standard (10 year old) storage heaters.

Present EPC was F38

Recommended measures were Floor insulation (suspended floor) which would cost £800 - £1200, save £170 per year and increase the EPC to E42.

Installation of high heat retention storage heaters and dual immersion cylinder would cost £1600 - £2400, would save £516 a year and would further increase the EPC to D58.

So updating the storage heaters in a house would certainly increase the Energy Efficiency on an EPC.

Solar water heating and photovoltaic panels were also recommended which would have increased the EPC to C70.

Does your EPC not give any recommended measures?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    blizeH wrote: »

Electric is cheaper (~£2k vs ~£4k) and should be easier and less costly going forward, due to it not needing a service, gas safety certificate etc.
    Annual gas safety record is only needed if the property is rented, not for homeowners. Annual service is always wise.
    Ask an estate agent if gas supply and gsh would increase the value of your home.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys, another consideration is that we can't get the gas connected for at least 6 weeks, then we'll need to have the heating fitted which could be another week, so we'd basically be looking at 2 months with no income from the house :(

Part of me really wants to bite the bullet and get the gas connection and central heating, but it's a huge initial outlay
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Electricity may one day be cleaner than gas, but since the UK still generates about 48% of it's power from coal and gas-fired plant (mainly gas), not just yet.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Going from storage heaters to gas will pretty much automatically put your EPC in the low D band.

I personally would not bother with electric heating in any form, upgrading to gas will pay for itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport