We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Freehold on a flat - to buy or not?
andydakin
Posts: 27 Forumite
We own a leasehold flat in a 42 flat block on the south coast. The majority (32 I think) of the owners have recently formed a company and bought the freehold (this was in process before we bought our flat and so we weren't initially involved) and we have been invited to buy our share. As I see it the benefits are:
An extended lease, from 119 left on our lease as it stands, to 999 years
No ground rent (£150 per year)
Potential dividends on excess funds in the company (although I'm not sure where those funds are going to come from)
A small increase in the value of the property (1 - 1.5% has been suggested)
I have spoken to the chairman of the residents' company who suggests that I shouldn't need to deal through a solicitor. Has anyone got any commments/experience on whether this is something worth doing? Should I jump at the chance or avoid like the plague? I'm 50/50 at the moment.
An extended lease, from 119 left on our lease as it stands, to 999 years
No ground rent (£150 per year)
Potential dividends on excess funds in the company (although I'm not sure where those funds are going to come from)
A small increase in the value of the property (1 - 1.5% has been suggested)
I have spoken to the chairman of the residents' company who suggests that I shouldn't need to deal through a solicitor. Has anyone got any commments/experience on whether this is something worth doing? Should I jump at the chance or avoid like the plague? I'm 50/50 at the moment.
0
Comments
-
you technically still have to pay ground rent, although you would get some or all of this back when the company distributes its income
Also you don't get to extend the lease unless the company agrees. you will be one of 30 odd shareholders. it would only be fair on the company to get market value for the lease extension albeit that you woudl be entitled to some of the money that the company takes because you are a shareholder.
The company woudl be run by the directors who would be under a duty to act in the best interests of the freehold company. That's all the shareholders. So for example if everyone else has longer leases, its not fair that you wouldnt have to pay albeit that as a shareholder you would get a share back
Further upside, is that if a person with a shorter lease needed to extend, you would be entitled to a share of the payment they would need to make.
I would do it.0 -
You shouldn't need a solicitor, no.
All you are buying is a share in a private limited company. The company owns the freehold, so there's no transfer of ownership of the freehold happening.
The freeholder (the company) can grant you a new lease on those terms at any time, but it's entirely likely they'll do so only as a benefit of being a shareholder.
Any excess funds are going to come from the return of money paid in by leaseholders, both in ground rent and in service charges, after maintenance is done.0 -
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]How much are they asking? Compare it with a statutory lease extension which will also get you £0 ground rent and a 209 yr lease. That would probably cost about £3,000 plus fees so maybe a total approaching £5,000.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Won't you need a solicitor to sort out the new lease? Also it will involve your mortgage co.[/FONT]0 -
The difference is that as a shareholder in the company, you'll be eligible to vote on any decisions around the building and freehold.[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]How much are they asking? Compare it with a statutory lease extension which will also get you £0 ground rent and a 209 yr lease. That would probably cost about £3,000 plus fees so maybe a total approaching £5,000.[/FONT]0 -
I've been in your situation and bought in without hesitation. One of the first things we did was to waive the ground rent for everybody
Another big plus is that you can have a say in the way the block is run.0 -
How much will it cost you?
I'd generally say go for it. However your ground rent is not terribly high and the existing lease is long enough for it not to affect the value when you come to sell in 3...5...even 10 years time. Enough residents are on the board already so what is done will be in everyone's interests (as opposed to some random management co on the make)
So unless it's really really cheap I don't know if I would bother.0 -
Thanks for the answers, folks. In answer to a couple of posters, the cost would be £4278 (based on the original marketed value of each apartment when they were first sold). Ours is towards the cheaper end of the scale, the downside of which is that our "vote" would have less clout than the owner of (say) one of the penthouses. As you say, with no legal costs, it compares reasonably to a lease extension with legal fees.0
-
... But your lease doesn't need extending.
That charge is equivalent to 28 years worth of £150 ground rent. There is no benefit here.0 -
Hi, I’m in a panic I’ve just had a letter asking if I want to buy the freehold for my leasehold masionette which only has 38 years lease left. They want £90,000 which no way can I afford, upstairs has 87 years left & they want £10,000. I have to reply within 28 days or it goes on open market. What happens now if someone buys the freehold. I’d like to sell the property having short lease it’s not mortgageable. I’m not very good with all this legal stuff! I can’t afford a solicitor as I’m disabled & my husbands on low income. Can anyone give me advice please.0
-
Remember that a lease means you're effectively renting the flat on a very long contract - the freeholder actually owns the building. In 38 years time, when your lease expires, you no longer own your flat - ownership of it goes back to the freeholder. That's why nobody will lend money against it... Because it's very poor security for a loan - let's say the buyer doesn't pay the mortgage, and the lender has to repossess. They now have a flat on a 20yr lease. Who's going to buy that from them?
Below 80 years remaining lease, the cost of an extension goes up rapidly, because of the effect on the value of the property. It's called "marriage value". The same applies to buying the freehold.
Because upstairs has more than 80 years left, their property is easily saleable, so renewing the lease won't make anywhere near as big a difference to the value.
Your flat can be sold, but it would have to be a cash buyer, and it'll be worth a lot less than if it had a long lease. At least £80k less, because of the difference in renewal costs - but in practice it'll be an even bigger difference, because there's the hassle factor, too, and the fact that the number of people you can sell to is a lot smaller.
If you can possibly raise the £90k, then it will likely be a very good investment. But you really do need specialist advice from somebody who can know the full exact details.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards