We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Managing EA and Offer

Hi All

I placed an offer on a house last week, which after some negotiation was accepted.

I received confirmation in writing of the first offer, not of my final offer.

The offer was made subject to survey and the property being removed from marketing. I sent my proof deposit, AIP, solicitor details, ID at the EAs request and they were happy with all of that.

A week later, the property is still up for sale. I was told the vendors were awaiting for a decision on an offer from the vendor of the house they want to buy and will mark it as sold as soon as they have that confirmed, and if not they still want me as a vendor, and would mark it as sold either way yesterday. They have not.

I know there is pretty much nothing I can do, and the EA acts for the Vendor. But if anyone has any suitable advice on how to speak to the EA without being overly annoying, but protecting my interests and getting greater clarity, that would be great.

My issue is I have 2 financial decisions to make in the next month and the answers vary depending on whether or not I am getting this house or continuing my search. Whilst I know that nothing is guaranteed before exchange, some level of commitment from the vendor would inform those decisions!

Comments

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,786
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's all down to negotiation. As examples, you could try saying...
    "I'm unhappy that the property is still advertised as available. Unless you mark it as 'under offer', I will continue to look at other properties, and might find another I prefer."
    Or "Unless you mark it as 'under offer', I will withdraw my offer" - but that might be 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

    But the bottom line is... you cannot force the seller to agree to your request.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,848
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Try to get a friend to phone the ea expressing interest in the house & see whether they'd be able to book a viewing. There's a chance the ea will tell them that the place is already under offer & no more viewings are being booked at the moment.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

    I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Throwaway1
    Throwaway1 Posts: 528
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cattie wrote: »
    Try to get a friend to phone the ea expressing interest in the house & see whether they'd be able to book a viewing. There's a chance the ea will tell them that the place is already under offer & no more viewings are being booked at the moment.


    I'd say it's almost certainly still available for viewings otherwise they would just mark it as under offer. All that may end up doing is causing the EA and vendor to think that there are other interested parties and so be less concerned about losing OP.
    MFW - OP 10% each year to clear mortgage in 10 years!
    2019: £16,125/£16,125
    2020: £14,172.64/£14,172.64
    2021: £12,333.62/£12,333.62
    2022: £10,626.55/£10,626.55
    2023: switched tactics to saving in a higher interest rate account than mortgage interest rate
    2024: mortgage neutral!
  • Thanks guys,

    I was going to chase again, but the property has just been marked as SSTC, as has the one I think they were offering on. So hopefully I will get the Memo of Sale shortly.

    What I have realised today is that in your 20s your stalk Facebook, in your 30s you stalk rightmove.... both done with a sense of paranoia!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.