Missing Cat Found, Advice that worked

Options
Hi all,

Just a happy little quick one as maybe it will help someone in the future. I've just bought my first home (2 months) and my cat moved in about a month ago. He's a family cat and lived with my parents about a mile away.

I kept him in to settle which he did great, and slowly opened the door for him to see outside about 3 weeks in and he'd give it a sniff and a look and dart inside. I then started plopping him on the doorstep to which he would go about a metre from the house and then back inside. Until....

Friday he must of caught a scent because he tentatively explored and then was off like a shot! We had a walk around and couldn't see him or hear him, he didn't even come back for dinner. Same on Saturday and Sunday, walked around, shook treats, called him, left the door open at dinner time. Parents have been on the look out in case he made it over there. No luck.

So I look online etc and advice said to leave a worn tshirt and some of his litter outside to guide him home. Did this Monday morning (3 days with no food from our house at least) and on lunch at work reported his microchip as missing on petlog.....

So ofcourse.... he turned up last night!! :rotfl::T:j Super happy to have him home and we can now put the cat flap in as he found his way back. But SO typical that the little rascal waits for me to report him missing! :rotfl:

He is 15 years old so his senses aren't as great anymore but it seems the tshirt/litter trick did the job so just wanted a happy cat found story, hope it helps someone some day. Also! I said it would be short but oops!!
Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting £218,500 June 2020 £203,800.95 :T MFW 2020 #78 - Target £3000 - So far... £2182/£3000
Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033

Comments

• samjohnes123
    Options
    I`m glad he returned home! Thanks for the advice!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is he microchipped? A chip would mean he could be returned to you if he got lost and someone picked him up
  • afoolandhermoney
    Options
    don't forget to update PetLog that he's been found
    MFiT challenge #60
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]Start £157500 [/STRIKE]Current £156,396.07
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    Also for anyone whos mog goes walkabout empty the Hoover bag over the garden, that will smell of "home". Worked for my little man who was very much a "meet and greet" cat who loved to pop into neighbours houses to say hello.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • FTBlalala
    FTBlalala Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes he is microchipped, that's how I flagged him as lost on petlog..... and then not even 24 hours later reported he was found!:rotfl:
    Bought First Home - June 2018 Starting £218,500 June 2020 £203,800.95 :T MFW 2020 #78 - Target £3000 - So far... £2182/£3000
    Ultimate Goal MFW by 40! - 2033
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport