Claiming back account fees (Halifax)

Hi,

I hope someone is able to give me some advice. I have had an Ultimate Reward account with Halifax for a number of years. I was originally told I could not have an overdraft without upgrading my account. As a single parent my OD usage became higher and higher until I had gotten myself into a state with money. So i entered into a debt management plan. Since 2014 I have not been using the bank account but paying money off monthly. This was all done through a debt management company. Yesterday i finally cleared the balance to discover that I have still being getting a monthly usage charge of £17. I complained through resolver.

Just wondering if I am in the wrong to expect not to be charged? I have only ever claimed one insurance once back in 2012. However since i ran into money problems I have not used a thing.

Halifax are ringing me back tomorrow to discuss. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just wondering if I am in the wrong to expect not to be charged?

There is nothing wrong with them charging you. They are providing a service.

That doesnt mean it wasnt missold originally. Just a case that they can continue to charge it until you say stop.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You state why you feel it was miss-sold and see what they come back with.

They may agree to refund (minus the sum of the payout on the insurance), they may not feel it was miss-sold. You should just be honest and explain the issue - maybe mention the debt problems you had and whether they should really have offered you the option to move to a cheaper account or similar though of course you could have done this yourself
  • Thank you both. I spent a long while on the phone to a lady from customer services today going through various details.

I was blocked out of my internet banking when I set up DMP. However it allowed me to reregister yesterday. The lady on the phone was very helpful however was concerned about the amount of fees I was getting charged. I never thought much of it but when I got off the phone i look at my account right back up to my dmp starting April 2014. For 2014 i was charged the bank account only Jan 2015- Sept 2017 i was also paying OD fees. My DMP barely covered that and bank account fee. Then Sept 2017- present day account fee only.

I am waiting for a call back tomorrow from someone who can discuss the od fees with me.

So not sure where I am up to really!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like the bank is correctly looking at it. So, that is good. The referral on the od fees is positive but you have to paint a picture of hardship. Get that person on side with you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I was pleasantly surprised by how thorough she was. I would not say I am in hardship as such now I am much more financially stable. However I do have to pay back the overdraft amount which has been paid off for me.

I guess I need to see what tomorrow brings. It makes no sense to me that they would freeze charges some years and not others.
  • Just to update you both. I had a call back today in which Halifax offered to pay back my bank charges and fees. When I entered into DMP they should have put my account into default which they did not. They made a mistake with my account so I was refunded in full from the beginning of my DMP.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Following the system properly works, good for Halifax for being understanding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure