Empty House Leaking Into Mine - Estate Agent Wont Help

I own a bungalow in a terrace. The house next door is empty and has been up for sale a year. The roof is leaking and water is leaking on my living room and bathroom ceiling meaning I am unable to decorate and the wooden beams in my walls are at risk of rot and woodworm. I have been in the house next door and the ceiling is wet there also.
I have asked the estate agent 3 times to contact the seller and tell them they need to fix it, but the seller will not contact me. I have been told by the estate agent the seller will not be doing any repairs to the house.
I could get the roof repaired but I don't see why I should spend my own money on someone elses house plus I simply can't afford it.
Where do I stand? Who can I contact? The owner is hiding behind the estate agent.

Replies

• Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Nothing is going to be cheap.

Get the deeds and start dealing with the owner. Who knows what the estate agenrts are saying to them.

Tell t hem if they do no do anything you will be doing it and charging them or going to small claims if they do not pay.

However since it is empty who know the situation (more treason to contact them directly), and if they have no money you are not getting any.

Maybe get a handyman to do a bodge with some plastic sheeting for now?
  • m0bovm0bov Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does your insurance have a legal helpline? I solicitor's letter to the owner might do the trick. You could, as suggested, get the repairs done to both properties, then sue for the money.

You could firstly, WRITE to the owner and give them 7 days to fix it, make it clear what will happen if they don't act.
  • MeepleHMeepleH Forumite
    27 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi,

No I don't have access to a legal help line unfortunately :(
  • MeepleHMeepleH Forumite
    27 Posts
    Forumite
    The problem I have is I can't write to the owner as they live elsewhere and I don't have their address and the estate agent won't divulge the information.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    28.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MeepleH wrote: »
    The problem I have is I can't write to the owner as they live elsewhere and I don't have their address and the estate agent won't divulge the information.

It's £3 on-line from the land registry.
    I'd sent the letter recorded delivery (technically a free proof of posting is sufficient but I'd rather pay 75p and know it got there).

I'd give them more than 7 days (14 at least).
    I'm deputy for someone in a nuring home and we only pick up the post in the empty place about once every 3 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals