Moving house

Options
AnnieP6
AnnieP6 Posts: 71 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
We are hoping to move house in September. Our present fixed deal with EDF (gas & electricity) expires at the end of September so we shall be looking to switch to a new deal, possibly with a new supplier..
Can you tell me what we do when we move house please?
I know we have to read the meters on the day we leave here but what happens at our new home if the present owner is with a different supplier?
Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You cannot take your present supply arrangements with you.

At your present house you read meters, take a photo, and tell your present supplier.

At your new house read meters, take a photo, and ring the previous owners supplier. Then you are free to switch.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you are in a deemed contract with the existing suppliers.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    We are hoping to move house in September. Our present fixed deal with EDF (gas & electricity) expires at the end of September so we shall be looking to switch to a new deal, possibly with a new supplier..
    Can you tell me what we do when we move house please?
    I know we have to read the meters on the day we leave here but what happens at our new home if the present owner is with a different supplier?
    Advice would be appreciated.

You read the meters on the day you move in and give these to whoever is your supplier(s) at that new address.
    As soon as the new accounts are created (usually done whilst on the phone) you can transfer to the best tariff they can offer you and/or apply to switch to another supplier.
    If you do neither, you will remain on the suppliers deemed tariff, usually their standard variable tariff which is usually their most expensive offering.

Beware of any early exit fees that may apply if you decide to transfer tariffs and are thinking of switching supplier too (which will take between 17 days and 5 weeks from application)
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent advice in previous posts. My son has done this recently.

Remember to takes photos and keep good records of your meter readings before you move out of your present home,… and do the same as soon as you move in to your new property.

If at all possible agree/verify the readings with your buyer and the seller of your new home on moving day,…it should save any grief if there are issues further down the line.

Don’t forget water meter readings!...if there are any.

As others have said, ‘Standard’ tariffs are very expensive so negotiate a new cheaper tariff as soon as you can;…prices are on the up!

Energy companies are replacing tariffs with depressing regularity at the moment,…and the price never comes down.

Good luck in your new home. :j
  • AnnieP6
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Still unsure on one point. I understand that we call the exiting supplier in our new home and set up an account. Can we do this without accepting a tariff, i.e. still be able to shop around immediately for a better deal without incurring penalties?
    I suppose it will be quite difficult on comparison sites to assess how much we shall use. The present owner is out all day whereas we shall be at home.
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Still unsure on one point. I understand that we call the exiting supplier in our new home and set up an account. Can we do this without accepting a tariff, i.e. still be able to shop around immediately for a better deal without incurring penalties?
    I suppose it will be quite difficult on comparison sites to assess how much we shall use. The present owner is out all day whereas we shall be at home.

As the new householder you have no option but to accept the incumbent suppliers expensive ‘Standard’ tariff from the day you move in;

…however, ‘Standard’ tariffs do not have exit fees and you are not locked-in to that tariff in any way.

Unfortunately, you’re stuck with paying the expensive ‘Standard’ tariff until you complete a move to a cheaper tariff,… which can take upwards of 5 weeks if you move to a different energy company altogether.

When my son moved home he immediately opted for a new cheaper exit-free tariff with the incumbent supplier (EDF) and even then it took about 13 days to complete;...and of course that was 13 days paying the expensive ‘Standard’ tariff.

It’s difficult for new homeowners to assess forthcoming annual energy usage but try to obtain the previous owners actual usage figures and, in your case, add what you feel is appropriate as best you can. It’s not an exact science but you probably won’t be too far off with a bit of application.

It’s important that you have accurate’ish energy usage figures when sourcing a new tariff.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the new place is similar in size to your current one then use your current figures and add on 10% to allow for differences such as different boiler or getting the place to "feel" as you would want.
  • AnnieP6
    Options
    Not at all similar in size. Moving from 4-bed, 4-storey house to a 2-bedroom apartment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure