Big 6 or smaller supplier for electricity?

Options
I appreciate if this topic has come up before, but the search results bring some overwhelming results to sift through.

I am currently in the final month of my plan with NPower and have gone onto a comparison site to find a better deal. The cheapest plan by far is with Enstroga which provides a price of 12.75p per Kwh and a standing charger of 16.10p daily.

The cheapest tariff from a big 6 provider (Eon) is 14.774p per Kwh and a standing charge of 15.76p per day.

Although the smaller provider would save me more money through the 12 month fixed tariff (which both are), I am unsure who to go with.

So I guess my question is - should I stick with a big 6 provider for peace of mind in regards to online bills and customer service? Or should I go with the smaller company and risk poor customer service and online bills and accounts?

People's feedback or experiences in a similar situation would be very helpful.

Enstroga's score on trust Pilot is really poor but should this be enough to put me off them?

Thanks

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2018 at 5:36AM
    Options
    I appreciate if this topic has come up before, but the search results bring some overwhelming results to sift through.

I am currently in the final month of my plan with NPower and have gone onto a comparison site to find a better deal. The cheapest plan by far is with Enstroga which provides a price of 12.75p per Kwh and a standing charger of 16.10p daily.

The cheapest tariff from a big 6 provider (Eon) is 14.774p per Kwh and a standing charge of 15.76p per day.

Although the smaller provider would save me more money through the 12 month fixed tariff (which both are), I am unsure who to go with.

So I guess my question is - should I stick with a big 6 provider for peace of mind in regards to online bills and customer service? Or should I go with the smaller company and risk poor customer service and online bills and accounts?

People's feedback or experiences in a similar situation would be very helpful.

Enstroga's score on trust Pilot is really poor but should this be enough to put me off them?

Thanks

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

It's the same electricity coming through the same wires, no matter how much you pay.

But if you don't want online account management, online billing, etc I suggest you don't go with a supplier who will expect this.
    New & smaller suppliers often expect you to use online, paper free billing as it helps reduce their costs, and so are able to keep their prices down to attract new customers.

The Big 6 don't need to attract new customers in the same way as newcomers do, as they already were given millions when they started.

Also if you want someone to talk to when you want to talk to them, that means employing at least 12 people just to ensure one person is available to take your call. i.e. a minimum of about £1/4 million (and hopefully suppliers have more than just one person available to take calls during their declared opening hours)... and so something that probably only large suppliers can afford ... and will be happy to pass on that additional huge cost to customers.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But the Big 6 regularly come at the bottom for CS in every consumer survey done...
    Though, to be fair, I was in the past with both EDF and Eon and found them OK.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport