Second-hand solar panel, installation questions

Options
I've been gifted a second-hand (unused) solar panel, being incompetent and a luddite but partial to saving money and doing my best for the environment I'm curious if I can make this work for me. Below are the questions I have, I don't know if anyone here can answer them.

1) I'm presuming this whole process is straight forward? It may not be. Is there an idiot's guide to this that a layperson such as myself could read? I've only seen the MSE version which doesn't answer many of my questions, some of which are outlined above.

2) is it possible to have a second-hand (unused) solar panel fitted professionally?

If so,
3) who/which company would be recommended for the installation? I've seen a number of complaints about solar panel suppliers and installations.

4) what sort of costs are involved with installations?

5) As it's only a single panel, I don't believe it would qualify for the FIT, as there's not enough being generated from a single panel. Is my thinking correct?

6) Is there anything else I should be aware of that isn't laid out in the MSE guide?

I don't think I'll be rolling in extra power (mwah-ha-ha) due to this solar panel, but it certainly would be decent to shed a few squid over the year even if it just covers a few cups of tea throughout the year.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to provide some guidance, if it all works out I may invite you around for tea, at the sun's expense.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To do anything with it, you'd also need an inverter, for which budget £1,000. The cost of this, plus scaffolding, wiring and commissioning, makes the idea completely uneconomic, as you'd not get FITs, just a tiny amount of power from one panel. I doubt if you'd get payback in less than 30 years.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • torncurtain
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    To do anything with it, you'd also need an inverter, for which budget £1,000. The cost of this, plus scaffolding, wiring and commissioning, makes the idea completely uneconomic, as you'd not get FITs, just a tiny amount of power from one panel. I doubt if you'd get payback in less than 30 years.

Right, this is what I thought. I wonder if it would just be good to have to supplement, so used to charge phone occasionally. There must be a way to make use of it; it was due to be used on a houseboat.

Thanks for your input, good to know I was right in thinking I'd be crazy to go the whole hog with it!
  • torncurtain
    Options

Ha! Yes, there's forum for everything these days, this is true. I hadn't thought to look for something so specific.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll have a look around.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To answer two of your questions
    2. Yes but costs will be prohibitive
    5. Not quite true, but second hand equipment doesn't qualify for the pitiful remaining FIT anyway.

On the best sunny and clear day your single panel will probably take something on the order of an hour at a minimum to boil a full kettle.

The reason why it might be more effective to have on a houseboat is that that you are probably having to run either a diesel engine or generator to charge batteries.

There are some very naughty plug in micro inverters you can get for a DIY home install. Sub £50 cost.

You could use it offgrid but you will probably only be using a tiny fraction of the electricity being generated.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    If you have an immersion tank you could wire it direct to a 12v immersion heater and there'd be no cost of an inverter. You would then use everything it produced, and if you could install it yourself would be cost effective.
  • macman
    Options
    What I think you are all missing is that even if the panel is free, and the inverter is £50, then the panel (if it has to be roof mounted) will incur a fixed cost for scaffolding and install which will vastly outweigh any generation benefits. OP, how much do you reckon it costs to charge your mobile per year? Maybe a fiver?
    If you want it to be of use, sell it on or give it away.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    The Navitron forums are a good place to start, but I agree with above, the fixed costs will make this prohibitive if the goal is financial payback.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    What I think you are all missing is that even if the panel is free, and the inverter is £50, then the panel (if it has to be roof mounted) will incur a fixed cost for scaffolding and install which will vastly outweigh any generation benefits. ?

True, but you might be able to ground mount it or shove it on a flat shed roof, or on the porch and use the 12 volt immersion I mentioned. Cabling wouldn't be too heavy or costly.
  • macman
    Options
    Yes, it's technically feasible, but even so the generation obtained will never cover the install costs. If the OP wants to try it as a 'green' project, then fine, but it will never 'shed a few quid' off their leccy bill in real terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport