MSE News: Royal Mail trials new parcel postboxes

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Royal Mail is trialling postboxes which are big enough for you to post parcels...
Read the full story:
'Royal Mail trials new parcel postboxes'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd sooner do away with post boxes altogether and pass the savings from no longer needing to send people to empty them onto cheaper stamp and postage prices!

I bet usage of these has dropped a good 90% over the last 15 years. The only time I use post boxes is to return 'no longer at this address' mail. On the handful of times a year I actually want to post a letter where I'm bothered if it gets there or not, I'll always go to a Post Office to buy a stamp and get them to throw it in their collection bag.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can see kittens being posted... you can just about get one in a current postbox ... maybe it'll enable small puppies and larger cats to get the same treatment.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2018 at 3:53PM
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    I'd sooner do away with post boxes altogether and pass the savings from no longer needing to send people to empty them onto cheaper stamp and postage prices!

I bet usage of these has dropped a good 90% over the last 15 years. The only time I use post boxes is to return 'no longer at this address' mail. On the handful of times a year I actually want to post a letter where I'm bothered if it gets there or not, I'll always go to a Post Office to buy a stamp and get them to throw it in their collection bag.

Which is why RM moved the mass majority of collections onto delivery staff.
    Have a look at what Ofcom had to say about RMs requirement to provide post boxes.
    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-3/provision-post-boxes
    also,I posted about this yesterday. Try and keep up MSE.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »

I use it on average twice a week(end of my street :D), to post back my postal DVD rentals.
  • pete_v
    pete_v Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Makes sense to me, as long as the opening is big enough.

At the moment CollectPlus get all my parcel business regardless of price, because I can drop them off at the corner shop down the road any time in the evening instead of carrying parcels into work and then spending half my lunchbreak waiting behind a queue of slow-moving pensioners at the Post Office. If Royal Mail want to compete then they need to offer evening drop-off, exactly as recognised by their spokesman at the end of the article.

Pete
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,315 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to mention that this is already being discussed on an earlier thread here started by custardy

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5881282

Unfortunately I cannot merge the trheads as I'm not allowed to merge those started by MSE forum team.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pete_v wrote: »
    Makes sense to me, as long as the opening is big enough.

At the moment CollectPlus get all my parcel business regardless of price, because I can drop them off at the corner shop down the road any time in the evening instead of carrying parcels into work and then spending half my lunchbreak waiting behind a queue of slow-moving pensioners at the Post Office. If Royal Mail want to compete then they need to offer evening drop-off, exactly as recognised by their spokesman at the end of the article.

Pete

FYI RM offer and want you to drop them off at a delivery office. many open later now.
    However keep in mind callers offices are a pure cost.
    Post Office are not part of RM and as such,they have little control over their opening hours.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see kittens being posted... you can just about get one in a current postbox ... maybe it'll enable small puppies and larger cats to get the same treatment.
    Maybe you're not pushing hard enough. I'm sure puppies would fit if you pressed them down firmly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure