moving from economy 7 to a new house with gas and electric

Options
Due to move in about 6weeks, trying to get my head around the best way forward for the utilities.

As we have, elec only- economy 7 with EON at the mo' with a price rise eminent- I want to switch, but don't want to be tied into a contract and it's not the right one for us.
Finding it hard to know weather to go for combined gas and electric or separate.
Is it cheaper to have both with one company?

Also don't know how much gas or electric for that matter we'll be using in the new place.

Any advice- pointers appreciated
:T

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The general thoughts these days is not to go for Dual Fuel.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Skools_Out
    Options
    TeddyBella wrote: »
    Due to move in about 6weeks, trying to get my head around the best way forward for the utilities.

As we have, elec only- economy 7 with EON at the mo' with a price rise eminent- I want to switch, but don't want to be tied into a contract and it's not the right one for us.
    Finding it hard to know weather to go for combined gas and electric or separate.
    Is it cheaper to have both with one company?

Also don't know how much gas or electric for that matter we'll be using in the new place.

Any advice- pointers appreciated
    :T

Welcome to MSE. Sorry you couldn't hang around for a response, as we value all new users here. I do hope you are able to return soon when you have more time to post again. This forum needs new posters like yourself to help keep the place alive. :)

I suggest you consult a comparison site that will indicate the answers to the questions you pose for your own situation.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use separate companies.

A complete guess, but I reckon you will use at least £350-400 of gas a year. More if the house is over 25 years old. More if you will use it for cooking too
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    More if you will use it for cooking too
    Cooking with gas does not use very much gas.

We use more for showering than cooking according to our smart meter.

Our average use per day is 11kWh since the gas heating has been off.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will be in a deemed contract with the existing suppliers on the day you move in, on standard tariff. Use any comp site with average figures, start with 3,500kWh of elec and 13,500kWh of gas, assuming gas CH and DHW.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport