Joint income, only 1 needs DRO

Options
Hubby needs a DRO. He is in FT work, gets £1467 a month inc working tax creds in his name. I'm self employed but it's making no money. I get £349 a month from child tax creds and child ben in my name. We have 1 child together (no other kids)

Does he need to take my income into account?
Can I pay for the non-essential bits from mine, as well as my credit card (things like swimming lessons for our son)?
Do I need to be contributing X amount to the household income?

Is there anything else I need to know? Finally drawing up his I&E but stuck on This!

Thank you

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi 2ndTimeAround

The fairest way to deal with this is to split your household bills proportionally, based on how much income each of you has. Given your hubby has the higher income, it's fair he pays a bigger share of the household bills.

I would suggest you contact the organisation you have decided to apply for the DRO through and complete the income & expenditure with them. Practices may vary between organisations so it's best to check with them first how they will expect you to complete it.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure