Switching from dual fuel to seperate suppliers

Options
andrew-b
andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 13 August 2018 at 4:52PM in Energy
Hi,

I've been with outfoxthemarket for electricity and gas since April on their variable zapp tariff, however the prices have gone up and so has my energy usage.

We are heating an inflatable spa which seems to be costing us about £25 a month extra so as a consequence i've now gone up into the £13.99 a month membership very high electric usage band.

I've done an energy comparison (checked the unit rates to be the latest OTFM prices) based on my estimates of increased usage and it's coming back that it would cost me more to move to SSE Southern Electric online only 12 month fix on duel fuel. BUT i'd get cashback plus also i would be entitled to Warm Home Discount meaning overall i'd be around £40 better off over the year.

I then did a comparison for moving to seperate suppliers and discovered it would save at least £60 more (i.e £20 saving over dual fuel) if i move to Ebico for gas fixed for 18 months and SSE Southern Electric Online only 12 month fix for electric.

The question is how to go about actually doing a transfer from dual fuel to seperate suppliers?

I've changed energy companies more times than i care to list but never from dual fuel to seperate supplier. I did a search but the general advice seems to be transfer both at once. However with Outfox the market they either supply just electric or electric and gas (not just gas) so presumably they would block a transfer if the request to move my electricity comes through before the gas?

Should i transfer the gas first and wait until that is completed before initiating the electricity transfer or should i transfer the gas first and initiate the electricity transfer once i know when the gas is supposed to complete?

I realise being different end dates for gas and electric also poses a problem if i want to switch back to dual fuel without exit fees so it's a bit of a gamble as to whether it will always remain cheaper for me at seperate suppliers.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exactly the same as transferring dual fuel except that you sign up with each new supplier for single fuel. Unlikely they would block anything, just go for both at the same time. I have not had dual fuel for 4 years now as I have not found one that beats my separate suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure