nPower

Options
pollyanna24
pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I am currently in a fix until the end of October. I believe that I will not have to pay an exit fee if I am within 50 days from the end of the contract. I have calculated this to be about 11th September.

However, I know it takes a while to switch and I could request that a "switch" takes place on 11th September to avoid the fees.

So should I be looking around now for the cheapest supplier or should I wait until 11th September?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,641 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am currently in a fix until the end of October. I believe that I will not have to pay an exit fee if I am within 50 days from the end of the contract. I have calculated this to be about 11th September.

However, I know it takes a while to switch and I could request that a "switch" takes place on 11th September to avoid the fees.

So should I be looking around now for the cheapest supplier or should I wait until 11th September?

Check your tariff's terms and conditions, but they probably contain something like this:
    If you switch supplier as a result of the notice received during the 42-49 day window prior to the end of the Online Price Control Period, and we receive formal notice of a switch within 20 working days of the end of the Online Price Control Period, you will pay the charges as per this Online Price Control Agreement until you leave
    AFAIK, it's 49 days prior to the contract end that you can switch without penalty, so you could start a switch on Sept 13. But that is the earliest date nPower can be told by the new supplier, which is usually some time after you have decided to switch.

You are unlikely to find a cheaper tariff, so it may be worth holding back on initiating a switch until early October. So long as nPower receive notice from the new supplier within 20 working days of the contract end date, they will hold your prices even if the switch takes you past your end of contract with nPower. Of course, with energy prices increasing, there is no guarantee a tariff you find now will still be available in October, so you may consider it worthwhile switching before the end of your nPower contract. It's a gamble...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I did a web chat with someone and have printed it off. They said I could leave after 12th September. So I might just leave it a couple of weeks and then start looking into it.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business