HELP!!! secondary drive probs

Hi
i recently managed to install a new drive into my old dell box and am looking at using it as just a slave drive for photos etc...in the setup facility it recognises the drive ok (160gb samsung) but in XP it thinks its a dvd drive!!!...how do i change it?!
tia
cymru am byth! lick up the reggae!

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Have you partitioned the drive ? This is an essential operation. A drive can be split up into partitions prior to format. Different partitions can contain different operating systems at a later date and allow for greater flexibility in the management of data storage in the future.
    These partitions get volume titles and letter names as if they were seperate drives (logical drives are what MSoft call it) . Sometimes they can take over the letter name of an existing removable drive and displace it down the alphabet. These letters can be changed within the computer management /disk management features found in the control panel. Look here also for partitioning options for your new disk.

J_B.(Still with W2K only )
  • chmaiden
    chmaiden Posts: 116 Forumite
    think i may have solved it...all to do with computer managment function...am running through it now!!!
    cymru am byth! lick up the reggae!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport