Do I have to pay ?

Options
Back in early April 2018 I ran out of heating oil. I rang my usual suppliers and they told me they were busy and couldn't supply for 10 -14 days. So, I thought I'd ring round and see what my options were. One company told me that they could deliver quicker than the 10 days and they were slightly dearer so I went with them. I had to prepay the £350' ish for 700 litres I requested and agreed on. The delivery wasn't quick and so I rang up and asked them when they would deliver on the 10th day. On the 13th day they did deliver but delivered 768 litres by mistake instead of the 700 litres we had agreed.. It was mentioned by the deliveryman but I never thought much of it and then last week (early August and 4 months later) I had a phone call from their finance credit supervisor asking me for £34'ish. I fobbed him off saying I was not near my wallet. Today, 13th August I have had a letter from them demanding £34.53 for an overdue account reminder. I considered this delivery as a one -off and I certainly wont use the company again as they offered a service that they didnt keep to and delivered more than we had agreed to.

Am I obliged to pay? do I have to pay? will this affect my credit rating if I dont pay? I expect that they could take the overfill from my oil tank but as I have had a delivery from my normal supplier they wont be taking their own fuel back but another suppliers. Can any one help please?

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    What do the terms and conditions of the contract sat? most bulk deliveries are not that accurate and overs/unders are not uncommon. If the £34 represents the 68 extra litres why not pay it? you may need another delivery at some point
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would you be happy to let them have the £34ish if they had under filled your tank?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, if it's for the extra litres, then sounds like you correctly owe the money. Better to pay the £34 for goods received, than risk a default on your credit rating i.m.o.
  • stuinwales
    Options
    Their invoice does not include T&C's on it, but my regular suppliers does. Their T&C state that an over supply will be charged unless it is over 500 litres then they will collect it. How many houses would have over 500 litres overfill ? Very very rare. My usual delivery is 800 litres and I have a large tank. Most companies have a digital recorder on the tank, in the 16 years or so I have had oil delivered it has only had the odd litre difference here and there.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its your choice .
    Write them a letter and say you are not going to pay and why .
    They then have the choice of accepting or not .
    If not they may pass to debt collectors and trash your credit record .
    Or pay for the goods actually received .
  • PPPPPPP!
    The best lesson in life are free!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family