Moved into rented with prepay meter...how do i get it changed to standard bills

Options
Due to a bit of a change in circumstances i'm due to move from my own home with standard monthly bills into a rental property. The landlord is happy for me to change from the current prepay meter to a standard one but i'm really not sure how I go about it? This is all new to me as i've been in my current home for 13 years and bills were all in joint names. I'm hoping to move in next week... Landlord has topped up the meters that are currently in to get me through until i get sorted out with things :-)

Thanks in advance
Debts all paid!!!:j

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    1. You contact the current suppliers and get them to reset the meters and send you a new payment key/card/whatever*, and register you as their customer. *You may need to go to the Post Office or Paypoint, get a new key, take it home and scan it in the meter, then take it back to the PO or PP shop.

2. You ask them to change you to credit meter. There may be a charge for this. You may be able to change to another supplier, still on prepayment, and then change to credit meter.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its not straightforward to simply demand a credit meter. Suppliers want to know if you are credit worthy and if you are not you will be refused.
    Most sensible suppliers will do a credit history search. EDF are not really sensible in this respect and they will simply take your word you are a good credit risk.
    You may be asked to lay down a bond which would be returned after a length of time .
    No suppliers now are allowed to charge to exchange the meters. OFGEM rightly stopped this restrictive practice a few years ago. Scottish Power for instance used to charge over £200 simply to swap the meter.
    Smart prepayment meters can be easily switched over to credit meter mode
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't use an 'inherited' key on a PPM unless you want to be paying the previous tenant's debt.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • needtopaymydebts
    Options
    Thank you everyone. For now my landlord has topped up the gas and electricity for now as I agreed to do a bit of decorating (they paid for paint etc) to make sure that I could get moved in as soon as possible. It is on a smart meter system so i'll make some calls on Monday and hopefully i'll get it all sorted quickly :-)
    Debts all paid!!!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport