Options
2»

Comments

• ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    This can be mitigated by going to a place that does undersealing and paying for the car to be undersealed. Mazda do the undersealing to a standard that's OK for the Japanese market but not northern Europe. A couple of hundred quid if you pay someone sees the car undersealed to a standard that'll cope far better with our salted roads.

Is this generally the case with all Mazdas?
    Reason I ask is I drive an 06 plate ts2 and have had no such issues. The exhaust is slightly corroded but no rust anywhere else.
    :j
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a 2.2D 3 sport nav, lovely car with all the bells and whistles for a lot less than an equivalent spec big name like Audi A3 or BMW One series - got full leather trim, heated seats, Bose sound system etc (the newer models come with digital radio). I have never had any issues with it, serviced regularly, nothing but normal wear and tear in 4 years and get 50mpg or so average but easily 70-90 on motorways. Pulling away is smooth and quick and mid-range pull is fine for overtaking and pulling back in on motorways. Car is quiet and smooth. Completely irrelevant to the car but the tyres they supplied (forgot which brand they are) still have 3-4mm after 30000+ miles driving!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Depends how old it is, by around 8 years old Mazda tend to start rusting badly, far worse then anything else on the road. If you are buying new and keeping for 3 years this is not a problem, just not a good second hand purchase when they get older.

Do they? The 20 year old Mazda I recently owned as my banger had almost no rust at all..... maybe it's just the new ones?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Do they? The 20 year old Mazda I recently owned as my banger had almost no rust at all..... maybe it's just the new ones?

I cant remember ever seeing a rusty Mazda.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cant remember ever seeing a rusty Mazda.

My first (given as a present from a family friend) was an old G reg Mazda 626 (I got it around 2003!) and it was rusting a bit but wasn't terrible. Did keep it going for about 3-4 years but the old owner really drove it like dirt, a mile or so each way to a job and I doubt she really maintained it very well as other bits were needed and it got to the point it should be scrapped.
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    My '56 reg Mazda is already rusting quite badly on the rear underside cross member and sills. MX-5 are also very prone to rust. Not a cheap job but I got brand new sills, and got a garage to weld the rear sub frame. Will also get a proper undercoat and sealant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure