MSE News: Lloyds to slash rewards for Avios credit cardholders

Options
2»

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 20 August 2018 at 5:31PM
    Options
    The simplest card for collecting Avios is the free British Airways American Express card. You earn one Avios for every pound you spend.

If you spend £1000 in your first three months, you get 5000 extra Avios free.

If you get a friend to refer you, you will get 6000 extra Avios instead of 5000. Your friend will also get Avios for referring you - anything up to 18000, depending on which card they refer you from.

If you will spend less than £1000 in the first three months, you would be better going through Top Cashback to apply for the BA Amex Card. No sign up bonus, but £25 cash back. This offer ends next weekend.

Plenty of people on the Amex referrers thread push their referral links, or you can PM me for mine.

(You can get much bigger referral bonuses if you can spend more. The Amex Gold Credit Card gives you 22000 Avios if you spend £2000 in your first three months.)
  • alfista
    Options
    I have the Lloyds Mastercard and Amex (no fees), and the BA Exec Amex (no fee). I had household accounts set up at Lloyds and BA. I found that the simplest way to get all my Avios moved to BA was to phone Avios - they sorted it all out in 5 minutes - result !
    It's only rock 'n' roll ...
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    WolfUK wrote: »
    :spam:
    It's against the forum rules to tout for referrals here, especially in multiple threads.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Most upsetting to see that the remaining Lloyds Amex cards are excluded from Shop Small this year :(
    Offer only available to UK issued American Express Cards. LLoyds Bank, Corporate and prepaid Cards do not qualify.
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/shopping/shop-small/
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Still time to get an Amex card in time for Shop Small. Takes about a week. Ignoring my Lloyds Amex cards, my OH and I have 6 directly issued Amex cards between us. I'll be getting rid of a few and churning once Shop Small is over.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Slightly off topic, granted, but a previous thread referred to the Head for Points website and the fact Lloyds were transferring their Choice Rewards customers to an Avios scheme at some point which was MasterCard only.

The other week I'd had a letter from them stating that, for security reasons, they were issuing me with a new card-was still an AmEx.

Given that AmEx are slowly withdrawing cards issued under license to third parties I must admit this surprised me somewhat.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Lloyd's are also still charging the Annual Fee on the account anniversary. I expect this will be refunded pro rata once the account changes.

I have not heard of anyone having their account changed yet. My anniversary is January. I've been notified of the renewal fee, and I'm hoping I might be able to earn one more upgrade voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure