Confusion over train ticket prices

Options
Can anyone help please?
I need to travel from Durham to London Kings Cross soon coming back the same day.
I got no difference in prices (approx £97) whether I entered teh travelcard details or not.
This MSExpert site assumes a lot of prior knowledge about train travel and is not helpful at all to someone like me who hasn't been on a train for more than 20 years. The jargon is more then confusing with single savers, economy savers etc.
I think £97 is a rip off but unless I know what I'm doing, I could be wasting money due to my lack of experience.
I got the impression from the GNER and Virgin ticket sites that singles could be had from £17
Is there a seasoned traveller could advise hte cheapest route - I resent paying more than necessary. PS I need a seat not a roof rack bargain!
Thanks in advance.
Zyzyxz

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You have already posted this.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    Zyzyxz wrote: »
    Can anyone help please?
    I need to travel from Durham to London Kings Cross soon coming back the same day.
    I got no difference in prices (approx £97) whether I entered teh travelcard details or not.
    This MSExpert site assumes a lot of prior knowledge about train travel and is not helpful at all to someone like me who hasn't been on a train for more than 20 years. The jargon is more then confusing with single savers, economy savers etc.
    I think £97 is a rip off but unless I know what I'm doing, I could be wasting money due to my lack of experience.
    I got the impression from the GNER and Virgin ticket sites that singles could be had from £17
    Is there a seasoned traveller could advise hte cheapest route - I resent paying more than necessary. PS I need a seat not a roof rack bargain!
    Thanks in advance.
    Zyzyxz

Your prices don't make sense - there is no £97 fare, there is no £17 fare, with or without a railcard. So it's difficult to know what you are doing wrong. Something obviously.

A saver return is £95.30, reduced to £62.90 with a railcard. This is a walk on fare valid on off peak trains only - ie you can buy it on the day and travel on any (valid) train without needing to reserve.

Discount singles start at £12.90 each way - you have to buy these in advance, and can only travel on the trains you book. The longer ahead you book, the better chance of getting the lowest fares. Railcard discounts don't always exist on these fares.

A visit to Durham station might be your best way forward. You don't HAVE to buy on line.
  • coral
    coral Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    or post some specific details e.g. dates, times, types of railcards you own and we can try to help you out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure