2»

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    HL don't charge for selling one fund and purchasing another

In addition, there might be other transaction costs such as bid/offer spread depending on the fund.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bravepants wrote: »
    I have started to "experiment" with monthly income funds, not with my entire portfolio but a portion of it, just to see how effective and stable they are in providing income compared to capital volatility. I'm with darkidoe in that I would rather try to avoid selling units in retirement (hopefully only a few years off) and I would rather experiment while I'm working than after retirement.

If you haven’t already, I would recommend you follow JohnRo’s monthly income thread here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4662291&highlight=monthly+income
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • soti84
    soti84 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your valuable comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In the long term inc units will result in slightly lower growth because you will have less money invested overall.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is it true to say though that as the capital value falls the yield increases, and so the income (say monthly) would stay the same or very close?

I mean apart from yield falling because some companies held in the fund would retain more profits to grow the company and thus improve share price.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,519 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bravepants wrote: »
    Is it true to say though that as the capital value falls the yield increases, and so the income (say monthly) would stay the same or very close?

I mean apart from yield falling because some companies held in the fund would retain more profits to grow the company and thus improve share price.
    Often capital values fall during times when company earnings are falling and coincides with or immediately precedes dividends being cut.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure