Faulty appliance causing huge electric bills?

Options

Comments

• nvas7407
    nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    soaround wrote: »
    Does a plugged in but not being used microwave use electricity? How does it do that. I'm genuinely curious (I don't have a microwave).
    Although quite negligible apparently, a microwave plugged in also uses energy. So advisable to unplug small appliances when not in use. If you leave the microwave door open and it has the light on, that will use energy as well..
  • nvas7407
    Options
    Why would you need to do this. Do you have an online account with them? Just log in and put the meter readings in. You seem to be making things very difficult for yourself.
    Just read the meter and let them know the reading.
    quite embarrassed really.. i need to check if i i can login and do that.. :( just taking control of everything in the house so all of this is quite new to me.. :)
  • nvas7407
    Options
    You dont need to agree a date, you just submit the meter readings to them.

Have a look at what tarrifs they offer as you may not be on one suitable for your needs, also look at what tarrifs are offered by other suppliers.

Switch everything off when not in use, including lights in rooms you are not using, computers when you go to bed, keep nothing on standby. When items (phones etc) are charged switch the socket off. My OH also unplugs unused / switched off items.

We just moved into a 2 bed flat with similar set up to you (gas central heating and on demand gas heated water), cooker, hob and shower are electric. My OH showers once/twice a day (I bath) we have used the oven a couple of times and mainly use the hob.

Our elec usage is about £7 so far in the week we have been here. We have a prepaid meter so can monitor very clearly what we are using (thank you previous tenants/landlord). When the shower was used I checked to see how much money had been used, same with the oven then the hob.

I know it is a b@llache but maybe monitor your electric usage daily, write the figures down in the morning when you get up and before you go to bed, keep an electric usage diary for a month and you will see where you are using (and paying) unnecessary electric.
    Spoke to bulb and they say they have just one tariff and it is the best one. Any pointers on how i can look around to check if there is a better tariff for me?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Put your consumption details into a comparative site - eg the Cheap Energy Club on this site (other sites are available). Use kwh not £.

I am not sure if Bulb charge an exit fee.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am confused as to where you recent bill of £142 comes from. From the readings you have given the total cost is about £270. So in April, May, June and (perhaps) August you have been paying something towards this - £270 less £142 is £128 which with 3 DD's is £43 a month (with 4 its £32).

Is this the case and if so where did the DD figure come from ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • nvas7407
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Put your consumption details into a comparative site - eg the Cheap Energy Club on this site (other sites are available). Use kwh not £.

I am not sure if Bulb charge an exit fee.
    will definitely check this..
  • nvas7407
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I am confused as to where you recent bill of £142 comes from. From the readings you have given the total cost is about £270. So in April, May, June and (perhaps) August you have been paying something towards this - £270 less £142 is £128 which with 3 DD's is £43 a month (with 4 its £32).

Is this the case and if so where did the DD figure come from ?
    I don't understand this.. :( what is DD please?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DD = Direct Debit .
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Does a plugged in but not being used microwave use electricity? How does it do that. I'm genuinely curious (I don't have a microwave).

Yup, you'd be surprised. It uses up electricity for the clock, and if the door's open for the light too. I used to live in a house with a card meter and I could see the difference when I unplugged the microwave.

I did a MSc module in energy efficiency. Here's some tips;

Batch cook, freeze and microwave, this uses less energy then cooking in a cooker so it's cheaper.

Dishwashers don't actually use that much energy. It's often more efficient to load a dishwasher then it is to heat water and hand wash. Seriously!

Unplug gadgets that you aren't using.

Turn off lights if you're not in the room.

Old appliances often use more energy then new ones (sorry, this one's really obvious).

If you put a sheet of card covered in foil behind your radiator it will reflect any heat that would be absorbed into the wall back into the room.

Don't fill your kettle fully unless you need to.

My bill's as low as I can get it, I do laugh when I'm asked if I want a smart meter though as there's no point!
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup, you'd be surprised. It uses up electricity for the clock, and if the door's open for the light too. I used to live in a house with a card meter and I could see the difference when I unplugged the microwave.

Purely out of curiosity can you quantify that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure