Can my employer do this?

Options
124»

Comments

• Wildcat1990
    Options
    Sue that!!!8217;s right. I!!!8217;m a key worker. I can!!!8217;t say more than that due to confidentiality.

I was signed off sick for that one week.
    Then had two weeks holiday. During this time was payday. I saw her the day of payday and she said I could no longer have it as holiday. At that point I hadn!!!8217;t said I!!!8217;d be off longer.

And there!!!8217;s no policy about having to return after sickness before holiday. I!!!8217;d know as I wrote them to her request.
    She knows it was real because A) I had a sick note and B) there was physical evidence of a breakdown.

My issue isn!!!8217;t there. My issue is the fact I!!!8217;ve asked for EIGHTEEN MONTHS about holiday entitlement etc. Weekly. Asked weekly. Someone do the maths and tell me how many weeks that is.
    I!!!8217;ve never heard about the July work year thing. Seems no one in the company has from looking.

So yes I find it highly suspicious that after 18 months of my holidays running Feb to Feb they now magically don!!!8217;t and it sits at the end of the work year...
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point that your are missing is "so what"? You are getting this over complicated by throwing in the kitchen sink, and that is simply confusing everyone here!

You wish to know what your holiday entitlement is? "Dear HR Department, please could you confirm my holiday entitlement. I have asked my manager but she doesn't appear to know the answer". You want to know what is happening regarding payment? "Dear Manager, as your are aware, there had been some confusion about my holiday pay and sick leave which yippy said you would clarify with HR. Can you please let me know the outcome of this as soon as possible. Thank you."

I still don't understand the issue with when the holiday year runs - but what you assumed, and what it is, are not the same thing. However, if you really want to know... "Dear HR Department, I am confused about the holiday year. Could you please tell me when the holiday year runs from. Thank you."

The thing is that what you are doing is providing us with minimal information, which could be interpreted in any one of hundreds of ways depending on what your employer does. I know you aren't doing that on purpose, but all it is doing is is leaving us trying to guess which of a dozen or more scenarios might be the case, and when we try to do that you tell us no, that isn't the case!

So it seems that you have two options. The first is that you ask for the information, and if that doesn't explain things you bring the explanation back here so that we can try to understand it. Or you submit a formal grievance. If you are going to do the latter, make it short, direct and relevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure