Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chichi1978 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies…

Just clarifying.

Def.
    1- Extremely offensive and insulting.
    2- Engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.
    3- Involving injustice or illegality.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but, the conversation was something like this:

(this was the second person that I talked to)
    Me: I am a bit in a hurry I would be glad if we could sort this quickly.
    3: Yes, you are a loved customer, I wanted to know how are you today.
    Me: fine fine, I am doing good.
    3: But, how are you feeling?
    Me: fine fine.
    3: I need to check a few things, hold please.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: Yes, everything looks fine, how are you doing today?
    Me: I am fine, can we proceed with the cancelation?
    3: Yes, how did you find our service?
    Me: great, really good.
    3: perhaps, you had any issues with the service.
    Me: no, it was great.
    3: how great?
    Me: I did not have any issues with the service.
    3: Do you have any family, friends that you could transfer this line to?
    Me: no, no one.
    3: how come? No family? No friends?
    Me: no, I am leaving the country tomorrow (I was lying).
    3: perhaps you could take some time to think about this, and talk to your friends.
    Me: no, I want to cancel this.
    3: but, you will lose the chance to transfer the line to a friend/relative.
    Me: I know, I just want to cancel it.
    3: sure, hold on a second.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: how are you feeling today?
    Me: Great. Can we proceed?
    3: yes, are you ok?
    Me: yes, please, can we proceed?
    3: there is one problem, you will have to pay an early termination fee.
    Me: yes, no problem.
    3: so, it is better if you transfer the line to a relative or a friend…
    Me: mate, please I just want to cancel this line (I was begging at this point)
    3: sure, let’s cancel it then, please hold while I do it.
    (holding for 7 minutes)

It went on a bit more… he did not do it!!! Then he transferred me to another person that made the cancellation itself after I paid the penalty…
    (this was the conversation with just one guy, in total it was 3 guys, and they all acted like that…).

I think is offensive to ask the same questions repeatedly to force the caller to cancel the call. Each of them told me I was a beloved customer at least twice… each of them asked me how I was at least twice… One guy even said “you are like family to me”, “you are part of the THREE family”.
    I might be wrong, but I think it is offensive to have to be over 50 minutes on the phone to cancel the service.

Wow! If you think thats abusive you have obviously NEVER worked in a call centre I've been called all sorts. TBH I think they sound like they were trying to be nice. The fact that you go out of your way to comment on the accent of each person tells me all i need to know about you
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP mistakenly believes that call centre agents are there to pander to his/her bidding. They're there to follow their management's instructions.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    The fact that you go out of your way to comment on the accent of each person tells me all i need to know about you
    The op said about all 3 guys, 'guy with Indian accent', in what way is that any different from saying, 'guy with Scottish accent', or ' guy with Geordie accent'?

I certainly think it could be argued that '3' are pushing the boundaries of OFCOM reg:
    "Communications Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for End-Users against changing their Communications Provider."

You should not have to stay on the phone for 50 minutes to cancel a contract, when a 20 word email could suffice.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    The op said about all 3 guys, 'guy with Indian accent', in what way is that any different from saying, 'guy with Scottish accent', or ' guy with Geordie accent'?

I certainly think it could be argued that '3' are pushing the boundaries of OFCOM reg:
    "Communications Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for End-Users against changing their Communications Provider."

You should not have to stay on the phone for 50 minutes to cancel a contract, when a 20 word email could suffice.[/QUOTE

In this situation there is no need to mention their accents at all it is completely irrelevant

All companies transfer you to various departments to cancel granted it’s no ideal but it’s too be accepted and no point getting bent out of shape over what to me seemed a reasonable call with no evidence of abuse
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's ironic because Three's CEO, David Dyson, is so vociferous about a consumer's right to easily change networks, he should be putting his own house in order.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,192 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing abusive there.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 11:31AM
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    It's ironic because Three's CEO, David Dyson, is so vociferous about a consumer's right to easily change networks, he should be putting his own house in order.
    From OFCOM:

5. We consider that to act as a "disincentive" a condition or procedure does not necessarily have to prevent an end-user from terminating (although it may do so). A condition or procedure could cause unreasonable effort, hassle or undue difficulty when seeking to terminate a contract such that it acts as a disincentive for an end-user even if that end-user ultimately still completes a switch of provider.

6. We recognise that some end-users contacting CPs about ending their services will have
    chosen to do so in order to have a conversation about any offers or options available to them and to take advantage of any discounts that the CP might provide as a result of those
    conversations. This can be beneficial to the consumers concerned, and we are not seeking to prevent these conversations for those end-users who wish to have them. However, we are
    also aware that other end-users want to terminate their services without having these conversations and in those circumstances prolonged retention activity may act as a
    disincentive. CPs should consider the needs of these end-users within their conditions and procedures to ensure that they do not act as a disincentive against changing CP.

I think we can be certain OFCOM have implemented this change because of the tactics by phone companies, proof if proof were needed that they are out of contral, all change October!!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/112282/Guidance-under-General-Condition-C1-contract-requirements.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure