We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

privacy question

Options
Hi

we have moved to a fantastic house on the endge of a great village. Although it is a development of new houses it is still very quaint. We have a great garden size wise, however we lack any real imagination so it is just all turf currently. Our garden has fencing all the way around, but because it is so large we are looked onto by approximately 7 houses!!!!

I thought about hedge, but it would literally take about 70-100 metres of hedging... and I dont fancy cutting that regularly, in addition I dont know how all the neighbours would feel about cutting their side of my hedge.

So my next thought is a number of strategically placed tress, plants etc etc. just to provide more privacy and some structure to the garden.

So any recommendations on types of plants or resources where I could get design ideas or planning ideas or just any help in general. Money is also an option, because its a new house I dont have loads of money to allocate to the garden it might have to be a bit at a time.

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on the size of the fence you could try growing plants up it like clematis or honeysuckle.

How about planting some large bushes - orange blossom, forsythia, flowering currant, ceanothus (blue flowers).

Sorry to say it gardens and hedges need work but the plants I suggested above may need the occasional prune which isn't as drastic as full hedge cutting.

Get talking to the local villagers and who knows someone might be willing to either give you a cutting or even a plant - gardeners love sharing.
  • christineperseus
    Options
    When you say you have fencing all around - do you mean chain link or fence pannels and to what height?
  • dprovan
    dprovan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi

thanks for the replies,

It is not panel fencing so I guess it must be link it is panelled wood approx 4 inch wide 6.5 foot high with a 1/2 inch gap between each plank. I plan to put inch strips between each plank so as to give more privacy there.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although gaps in the fencing will help to stop it being blown down if there are strong winds
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You could try Kiftgate Rose as well. It is very fast growing, quite pretty, reasonably priced and has the added benefit of acting as a security device if any of your boundaries are prone to being climbed over by kids/vandals/thieves etc...
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you go for passion flower you will get beautiful star shaped flowers that will produce edible fruits. When the fruit is orange it has a lovely red coloured fruit on the inside. Best of all it's free and growss like wildfire!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure