🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking Ticket can I appeal??

Options
lea76
lea76 Posts: 209 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me?

I own a shop on the corner of a busy street and a dead end street. The dead end street used to be a main road until they changed it a few years ago, therefore it has still got double yellow lines from the main road going about 6 meters down the dead end street. (I hope this makes sense!!) The front of my shop which faces the main road has a large pavement at the front which some shop owners park on, but the council have said we cant drive over the pavement as its their property! So I have no parking near my shop :mad: . Last week I had been to the cash and carry and needed to unload my van so I parked on the yellow lines but as there was only me in the shop at the time i was unloading and serving customers at the same time. Whilst i was doing this i got a parking ticket for contravention code 01:mad: . I know i have done wrong but these lines should have been removed years ago when they changed the road to a dead end. Any ideas for a letter to appeal and also one i can send to highways dept to try and get lines removed???

many thanks

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Appeal it anyway as you are normally allowed 20 minutes for unloading. In your appeal letter, explain what you were doing at the time of the alleged offence - you were unloading your vehicle.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get on at the council. They can't expect you to be without some reasonable means of unloading. They gave permission for your premises to be a business one, so they should be making some kind of provision IMO.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Good points about the reasonable unloading times, I've just noticed something, could be insignificant, but...

They've put contravention code 01 on the ticket, this website (National Parking Adjucation Service) describes code 01 as "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours".

In terms of challenging this I'm thinking it would be the second ground of appeal: the alleged contravention did not occur. Also check that the double yellow lines are solid all the way down the road and end with the a single line at a right angle to the parallel lines.

Good luck :D
  • lea76
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :T

They've put contravention code 01 on the ticket, this website (National Parking Adjucation Service) describes code 01 as "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours".

Do you think this contravention code is wrong? Will check the lines tomorrow.

Any ideas what i can put in the letter????:D
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    lea76 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice :T

Do you think this contravention code is wrong? Will check the lines tomorrow.

Any ideas what i can put in the letter????:D

It's wrong because you were not parked you were unloading, you had your van locked (presumably) because you were on your own, so to the warden it looked like a parked van.

You have your reciept from the cash and carry? Use that as evidence.

What are the times indicated on the ticket? if it says a period of 3 - 5 mins then ther's no way he would have known you were loading, if it says 20 - 25 - 30 mins then you might lose.

Re: The Highway, Just wite to Highways dept and ask them to come and look at the site.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer)
  • lea76
    Options
    What are the times indicated on the ticket? if it says a period of 3 - 5 mins then ther's no way he would have known you were loading, if it says 20 - 25 - 30 mins then you might lose.

It says on the ticket I was parked for 6 mins!! :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family