Barclaycard changing their minimum payments

Options
124»

Comments

• footjoy
    Options
    I am wondering how much you have to pay back each month to avoid falling into persistent debt.

Would I be right in saying that if you had an interest charge of £35, a minimum payment of £60, you should pay £70, that is, double the amount of the interest and fees?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    footjoy wrote: »
    I am wondering how much you have to pay back each month to avoid falling into persistent debt.

Would I be right in saying that if you had an interest charge of £35, a minimum payment of £60, you should pay £70, that is, double the amount of the interest and fees?

Pretty much - you need to pay *at least* double the amount of interest, charges and fees. I'd stick another £1 on there, just to be safe.
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Pretty much - you need to pay *at least* double the amount of interest, charges and fees. I'd stick another £1 on there, just to be safe.
    I agree.

You need to pay off an amount on the main balance equal to the interest as well as the interest itself.

So double the interest is about right.
  • mro
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    Anyone else had a letter from Barclaycard changing their minimum monthly payments from the Sep statement ?
    I have now received a similiar letter for my other Barclaycard Visa card, same conditions & rates as on my other Barclaycard Visa card (was a Mastercard up to Apr 2016), I started thread about.

Highest of:
    • £5
    • 2.25% of main balance
    • Interest (~1.33%/month) + 1% of main balance (was 0.1%)

I assume they are changing minimum payments for all their credit cards.
  • mro
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    Anyone else had a letter from Barclaycard changing their minimum monthly payments from the Sep statement ?
    I have now received a similiar letter for my other Barclaycard Visa card, same conditions & rates as on my other Barclaycard Visa card (was a Mastercard up to Apr 2016), I started thread about.

Highest of:
    • £5
    • 2.25% of main balance
    • Interest (~1.33%/month) + 1% of main balance (was 0.1%)
      ........... =2.33% of main balance (was 1.43%)

I assume they are changing minimum payments for all their credit cards.

Minimum payment should be set at 2x interest to avoid persistent debt condition
    or 2x 1.33% =2.66%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport