Interest Rate increase

ceewashceewash Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
Are savings rates likely to increase today with interest rates?

Replies

• Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Banks haven't been in the habit of passing savings onto consumers lately especially, but you'd expect some sort of rise, maybe. Its pitiful stuff really!

Maybe all waiting to see what their competitors do first.
    "Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
    "The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
    "The borrower is slave to the lender."
    "Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
    "Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
    "Energy flows where attention goes"
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't even think it's an given interest rates will increase today. But in any case it takes time for providers to change things plus rates are set by what they think the long term outlook is. If Brexit continues to be a catastrophic car wreck what are the odds they'll be notching it 1/4 % down in 6 months?
  • veryintriguedveryintrigued Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are the accounts that I had that raised their rates around the last rate increase in December 2017. Fingers crossed they replicate this if it increases again.

N&P regular saver (now a YBS RS)
    Lloyds RS
    Holmes dale RS
    YBS RS
    Leeds RS issue 4 (we've already received instructions on what happens next with this one)
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    No. I don't even think it's an given interest rates will increase today.

It's a given now.
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/inflation-report/2018/august-2018/visual-summary

Alex.
  • ceewashceewash Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on MSE.
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, that'll put my mortgage up to 1.5%, same as the interest I'm earning on my Lloyds current account, as well as my NatWest Savings Builder and three Bank of Scotland accounts. Looks like I'll be moving a few grand into the mortgage where it won't add up to my annual taxable allowance.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • edited 2 August 2018 at 4:02PM
    harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 August 2018 at 4:02PM
    So cue another round of building societies and banks increasing mortgage rates by the full .25% and only giving savers .125%...
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ceewash wrote: »
    Are savings rates likely to increase today with interest rates?

No, not for me anyway. I already get 8x the base rate so I don't expect that to change.

Any of the decent rates are unlikely to vary much as a result of the increase today
    harz99 wrote: »
    So cue another round of building societies and banks increasing mortgage rates by the full .5% and only giving savers .25%...

So move to an account paying a decent rate
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • typistretiredtypistretired Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    At least Coventry BS are providing dates when we will be informed of increases:-

"Bank of England raises Base Rate to 0.75%

Following the increase to the Bank of England Base Rate, we are reviewing our saving and mortgage rates. We’ll announce our decision no later than the 23 August, with the intention of applying changes from 1 September."
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • Hello harz99,
    Could you please clarify your statement re only giving savers .25%. Is that not the full increase in rates?
    Regards,
    mrwmartin
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS