Returning non-faulty goods without packaging

Options
I recently purchased 2 storage cupboards for bathrooms sinks. Before fitting them, I discarded packaging as I was making a run to the recycle centre. Upon returning, realised the cupboards did not fit the sinks, and therefore needed returning. I have contacted by phone and email the company I bought the cupboards from and they have refused to accept the cupboards without them being in their boxes. They are brand new and have been stored safely! The order was a genuine mistake and therefore would like to order the correct sizes and seems ludicrous that they won't take back the cupboards (which lets be honest is 99.9% of the total value, the other 0.1% would be the boxes they came in). I've even offered to drop them back to the shop.

I've searched online for specific terms within the consumer rights acted related to packaging but keep coming up short on specific rights. Any advice is welcome as I just want to get the right cupboards ordered!:mad:

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MrOranges wrote: »
    I recently purchased 2 storage cupboards for bathrooms sinks. Before fitting them, I discarded packaging as I was making a run to the recycle centre. Upon returning, realised the cupboards did not fit the sinks, and therefore needed returning. I have contacted by phone and email the company I bought the cupboards from and they have refused to accept the cupboards without them being in their boxes. They are brand new and have been stored safely! The order was a genuine mistake and therefore would like to order the correct sizes and seems ludicrous that they won't take back the cupboards (which lets be honest is 99.9% of the total value, the other 0.1% would be the boxes they came in). I've even offered to drop them back to the shop.

I've searched online for specific terms within the consumer rights acted related to packaging but keep coming up short on specific rights. Any advice is welcome as I just want to get the right cupboards ordered!:mad:
    I assume you've suggested exchanging them for the right sized equivalent? That way, the retailer still gets your custom even if they lose out on the originals. Other than that, you have no right to a refund in this situation.

I don't agree with your value split. Would you pay 99.9% of the RRP for unboxed cupboards? I suspect you'd want a bigger discount than 0.1%. That's a hit the retailer is going to have to take to sell them again if they accept them back.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above regarding the value split. The value to the next customer comes from them arriving undamaged.

The packaging is there to protect the cupboards against damage. Having two unprotected cupboards around the warehouse would be a problem - they would inevitably get damaged. Plus, how can they transport them to the next customer?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Options
    MrOranges wrote: »
    .... I've even offered to drop them back to the shop...
    You make it sound like you're doign them a favour! It's your error.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    If you purchased in store then they can refuse the return.

If you purchased online or over the phone they are permitted to reduce the refund for diminished value (very likely to be more than 1% in this instance).

The exemptions for cancellation of a distance contract does not include throwing away the packaging:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/28/made

The store may be permitted to require you to post the cupboards back, a big chain would likely want the goods back in a central warehouse rather than your local store and I don't think you have automatic right to return to store.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2018 at 12:48PM
    Options
    2 choices, as suggested see if you can swap them for those of the right size or sell them yourself to recoup some of the money or do as below.
    I also don't agree with your value split.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Order the correct sizes, and when they arrive return the incorrect ones in those boxes so that they are protected to the satisfaction of the seller.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure