Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Google mini operating other people's equipment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
7 replies 890 views
James_NJames_N Forumite
1.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Our google mini operates no1 son's heating and TV - he lives 5 miles away and he also has a google mini.
So our google mini will change his heating or switch it off, and play programmes on his TV from Netflix using no2 son's netflix account. No2 son doesn't have a google mini and only visits occasionally since he's a student.

Both no1 son's and our device "know" where they are located.
Re-setting them seems to make no difference.

We cannot work out how to keep them to themselves and no-one has set this up to do this.
Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.

Replies

• RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who's account are you using? It's actually controlled from Google Home app on your phone, so, if he's set it up then it operates as his. You need to have yours set up via your phone and your Google account and then match your voices for extra functions.
    It doesn't matter who's Netflix account it is, whichever Netflix account is logged in.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • James_NJames_N Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Each mini is set up separately and has been set up by its "owner" using their own phone. This is why we cannot work out what is going on.

I can see MY history on my phone. Son 1 can see his history on HIS phone. His mini cannot do anything to me, but I can control his house from mine.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In your GH settings tap 'Devices' then Tap the 3 dots top right in your GH Mini.
    Tap settings
    Scroll to the top and look at 'Linked account(s). If your sons account is also in there, delete it.
    If his account isn't there, tell him to look at his and see if yours is linked to it.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing under devices on my phone. I have 3 minis.

All that is listed is Add New Device
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, none of your 3 GH minis are showing within the Google Home app?
    If you open the app and tap the square in the top right are they still missing? Not sure how you set them up initially if they didn't show on the app.
    To be controlling your sons GHM, logically you must be using his google account on your phone. So, if not, as you say, strange.
    When you say 'resetting' them doesn't work, do you mean rebooting by disconnecting the power, or, a complete reset using the button on the base?
    You could also uninstall the app and give that another try at the same time so that the whole set up process is redone on your phone with your account.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    With your help I appear to be making some progress and wil report back.

Thanks!
  • RealGemRealGem Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Following this thread.

Good luck!
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
This discussion has been closed.