Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

coding project for son

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
3 replies 647 views
Imnoexpert_2Imnoexpert_2 Forumite
322 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
My son fancies himself as a coder and is headed for an IT career.

He already programs and gets paid for it from contacts he's made on the internet. Mostly Java server side stuff though he has learnt other languages too.

I set him the project of a sudoku solving program for the summer holidays. Within 24 hours and as a break between revision sessions before the holidays had even started he produced one that solves most in milliseconds and all in a second or two.I'm clearly no good at setting projects.

This forum has helped me before with him - can anyone come up with a project which will challenge him and maybe extend his knowledge?

Thanks

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
  • ehloehlo Forumite
    396 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've heard good things about Project Euler - https://projecteuler.net/

If he has any specific interests that he could turn into open source projects on github this can be very good CV wise :)

Depending on your sons age there may also be local code clubs where he can help mentor other children/adults to code. meetup.com is often a good place to find these
  • Imnoexpert_2Imnoexpert_2 Forumite
    322 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

Coderbyte looked good but is paid for so we have put that on hold.

Project Euler really hit the spot though. Son enjoys maths so this got his attention. Even better having gone through the first dozen problems fairly easily he is finding successive ones a bit more challenging and being slowed down a bit.

He already has a github presence and belongs to various forums where he posts answers to people’s problems. He has found a vocation!
This discussion has been closed.