AV Powerline or Mesh ?

Options
BT Home hub/ superfiber plus with BT box about 200m away, fibre not up to house.

Generally good speeds connectivity, able to stream to smart TV MOST the time but occasional issues with drop out, especially if OH has her old laptop on in the same room.

In Kitchen streaming to other TV via firestick a bit less reliable.

Office PC which is other side of a thick brick wall works fine, can watch streams on phone in bedroom. Wifi upstairs ok too

Going forward would be interested in going to Sky's upcoming dishless service as we share a dish with our neighbour due to line of sight with trees.

So from what little I know the main TV may benefit from a
AV powerline connector with 2 ethernet ports so I could connect Sky to it going forward ( currently connect wireless and this works fine but thinking of dish-less Sky Q going forwards ). But this does not solve the Kitchen TV problem which is on a different circuit as its part of an extension. However as its only a firestick then I would be better boosting the wifi around that TV.

So is there a powerline plus extender option..or will a MESH set up solve my niggles and future proof me ?

TIA !
Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wired cat5e ethernet will beat the pants off wifi and powerline.

I've tried powerline and, because it was on two different rings and RCCDs it was unreliable and slow. I installed a cable running externally instead, but still use a powerline on the same ring to feed into a bedroom (until such time as I can wire it) with fair results.

Cost will be lots less than mesh or powerline adapters, too; even if you need to have a switch or two in the home.
  • buyhighselllow
    buyhighselllow Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2018 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    Wired cat5e ethernet will beat the pants off wifi and powerline.

I've tried powerline and, because it was on two different rings and RCCDs it was unreliable and slow. I installed a cable running externally instead, but still use a powerline on the same ring to feed into a bedroom (until such time as I can wire it) with fair results.

Cost will be lots less than mesh or powerline adapters, too; even if you need to have a switch or two in the home.

Running wire from the internet access point to the TV is really challenging without it being unsightly, I'm not sure how it can be done, but I'm no expert..Seems like it would be a more "perfect" solution though..

The Powerline to the main TV would be on on the same circuit. I would need a compatible wifi extender for the kitchen and firestick..or just go MESH...cost up to £200 quid is not a real issue..
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I changed to powerline months ago, far better than wireless (BT Homehub 5, infinity2 unlimited BB). I have 3 phase power (don't ask!) so have 3 consumer units, found I was OK if the hub power point and the one I wanted to extend to were on the same consumer unit (not necessarily same ring) but not if they were on different consumer units. Thus had no problem connecting hub to garden room (2 PC's) and dining room (1 TV), but to get to the main TV in the lounge we had to run an ethernet cable throughthe wall from the hub to a powerline adapter in one power point, then another powerline in the power point behind the TV/BTTV box. All works pretty well, and noticably better than wireless. Powerline adapters are BT 1Gb pass through adapters with 2 ethernet outlets per adapter.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have powerline and then an additional wireless router plugged into it to extend the wifi round the whole house
  • buyhighselllow
    Options
    I have powerline and then an additional wireless router plugged into it to extend the wifi round the whole house

So powerline to TV would be no issue, with dual ethernet ports at TV end for TV/ Sky box.

Presume my wifi will still work the same ?... and I can boost this via another gizmo of the same make ?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So powerline to TV would be no issue, with dual ethernet ports at TV end for TV/ Sky box.

Presume my wifi will still work the same ?... and I can boost this via another gizmo of the same make ?

My TV and sky box are attached to the home network and router via powerline and it works fine. Separately the wifi which is decent strength fades a bit in the extension so I've got a wifi extender (don't believe it makes any difference what make it is) and that gives the extension 5 out of 5 and the garden bit where we sit 4 out of 5 (compared with 1 or 2 before)
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

doesn't have to be the same make, what you could get also is powerline with wifi, something like this, gives both options at the other end

https://refreshcartridges.co.uk/tp-link-tl-wpa4220-300mbps-av500-wifi-powerline-extender/

**not a recommendation of exact model, haven't used it
  • buyhighselllow
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    My TV and sky box are attached to the home network and router via powerline and it works fine. Separately the wifi which is decent strength fades a bit in the extension so I've got a wifi extender (don't believe it makes any difference what make it is) and that gives the extension 5 out of 5 and the garden bit where we sit 4 out of 5 (compared with 1 or 2 before)

Does the extender and powerline both need ethernet connections ?..not an issue in that the BT hub has 4, but thinking about sockets and would need pass through type..
  • buyhighselllow
    Options
    doesn't have to be the same make, what you could get also is powerline with wifi, something like this, gives both options at the other end

https://refreshcartridges.co.uk/tp-link-tl-wpa4220-300mbps-av500-wifi-powerline-extender/

**not a recommendation of exact model, haven't used it

ah cheers yes have seen this make..our posts crossed
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My extender and TV and Sky power connectors all need ethernet connections to the hub (as do some other devices). I've run out so bought a cheap 5 port switch to give me some breathing space!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure