Home Insurance for Damage to car?

Cardinal-Red
Cardinal-Red Posts: 664 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 July 2018 at 10:26PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi all,

Today we were involved in a quite serious incident where a set of Thule Wing Bars somehow was blown/ripped/torn off the car while we were driving. It flew backwards, hit the back of the car and landed on the road. Luckily no other cars were around as this could have been very serious.

The damage to my car is quite substantial. I was weighing up claiming for the wing bars (around £600 worth) and was wondering whether this claim could also cover the damage to the car directly caused by the incident.

Or am I looking at claims under 2 policies, and so 2 excesses and 2 losses of NCD?

Any insights?

Thanks
The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You've got a motor damage claim, and if your motor insurance won't cover the roof rack then you may have a valid contents insurance claim as well.

You cannot claim off yourself for damage, so there's no chance the damage to the car will be covered under the contents claim.

Is it possible the motor insurance will cover the bars? I'm fairly confident mine would.
  • TSx
    TSx Posts: 851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Contents insurance will exclude any motor accessories so won't cover the roof rack, should all fall under your motor insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure