Dolmio Sauces

Are these jars really bad for you? I use Dolmio lasagne sauce and for pasta bake I usually use passata but this time I used Dolmio tomato pasta sauce and the whole dish tastes loads better.

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi Fusspot

Only my view, but anything processed isn't the best for you, but if you are using the sauces occasionally, to make a quick meal, then where is the harm.

Pasta sauces and b!chamel sauces are really easy to make, but if you are time poor I would do the same.

Do look at own brand makes as an alternative to make it cheaper though, Aldi own brand sauces went down a storm with our adult kids when we left them to fend for themselves
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • FusspotFusspot Forumite
    327 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for your reply. I would be using the sauces about once or twice per week, would that be considered as not good?
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Fusspot wrote: »
    I used Dolmio tomato pasta sauce and the whole dish tastes loads better.

Your obviously doing it wrong then. Try making it from scratch with fresh ingredients..... not as hard or time consuming as you think!
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hun, I am not the food police, and I know what it's like to get food on the table with minimum fuss when you are run off your feet.

Have you thought of making a big batch of sauce and freezing in portions?

A decent tomato sauce is easy, Be he also is essentially 3 ingredients plus seasoning- I could tell you my recipe, but will leave it to the professionals - have a look at BBC eat well for less series 5 ep 3 on catch up, similar situation and they preferred the alternative x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Callie22Callie22 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Plain passata won't taste the same as Dolmio sauce - try using the passata but stirring in some tomato puree (just to thicken it up a bit and make it a little richer), some herbs (like oregano) and some seasoning. Start from there and just add a few things that you like - maybe fry off some finely chopped onion and garlic, and then add the passata and herbs or a pinch of chilli, simmer it a little and you've got a basic tomato sauce.
  • mumfmumf Forumite
    401 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you start making your own,Dolmio tastes like chemical waste!
    327 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I use passatta with garlic and onion in it which is more tasty than plain.

I've seen the Eat Well for Less programme recently. Thing is they always cater for people with families. I live on my own and its not cost effective for me to buy all fresh ingredients, they go to waste.
  • mumfmumf Forumite
    401 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I've seen the Eat Well for Less programme recently. Thing is they always cater for people with families. I live on my own and its not cost effective for me to buy all fresh ingredients, they go to waste.

Do you have a freezer?
    327 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    mumf wrote: »
    Do you have a freezer?

Yes I do have a freezer, not a massive one but it has three drawers.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

if you have the freezer space then batch cooking several pasta bakes and freezing them in single portions is best. That way you have healthy home made ready meals.

The main problem with Dolmio and other sauces is the amount of sugar in them.

I cook from scratch but most of the ingredients don't have to be fresh. I use dried herbs and spices and Lazy Garlic. Onions and mushrooms can be bought frozen or buy fresh and freeze what you don't need or use for other meals like omelettes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum