Smart Lighting - Where to start?

Options
Thinking about starting to get some smart lighting but bewildered on where to begin? I have quite a few GU10 LED downlights and don't want to have to replace them and may even get more - can I even get Google Home control over GU10 LED lights?

I believe I do have an 'N' in most of my light switches which I think is relevant.

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a neutral wire behind your switches then you can use something like this:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonoff-WIFI-Wireless-Switch-Touch-Glass-Panel-Touch-LED-Light-controller-EU-Plug/113158783520

It's only £11.99 delivered and you simply replace the existing light switch so will work with any lighting that is connected to a light switch.
    You just connect it to the Wi-Fi with an app and away you go.

The company also does a device that plugs into sockets and an inline switch cheaply.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SandLake wrote: »
    I believe I do have an 'N' in most of my light switches which I think is relevant.

Most UK homes would not have both the required Live and Neutral connections behind wall switches (it is unnecessary for normal wiring). I'd check thoroughly before ordering smart switches to get the right ones (simple ones that require L & N, or more complex ones that don't).
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Initially thinking of trying it out in my conservatory and it definitely does have Live and Neutral.
    Just bought a Sonoff although I went for the 2 Gang version

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family