Pay day while abroad

While on holiday in Spain it will be my pay day, I want to use some of my wages whiles away so my question is- it is best to withdraw cash while in Spain or get a travel card and pay it off when I get home?
Thanks

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Depends what debit or credit cards you have with you in Spain & what ATN's you have near you.
    More info needed...........
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Have you read the travelmoney sticky, regarding the best cards to use abroad?

using the correct cards is better than changing money before you go ( assuming the exchange rate stays the same)
  • I personally would obtain the most relevant pre-pay card now, and then top it up whilst you are travelling. This can usually be done online, and you can do if from your phone using a free wifi connection whilst ravelling (although if in Europe, your UK data allowance can be used).
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 July 2018 at 7:47PM
    When do you travel ?

If you have enough time - look at Starling bank debit card - no fees at ATMs, and can be used for purchases as well.

https://www.starlingbank.com/

Easy to keep track of transactions on iPhone etc., and you can transfer to/from your regular UK current account online.

Have used it abroad for last two years, no problems.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you can get a Halifax Clarity credit card you can make purchases and withdraw cash from an atm at Mastercard rates.

Yes, the cash withdrawals will incur interest charges from the time you get the cash out but the interest charge will be minimal if you pay it off as soon as possible.

Just make sure that you find a bank that doesn't charge for cash withdrawals.
  • If it was me, I wouldn't rely solely on an ATM for getting some of your wages.
    I know it doesn't happen too often but suppose there was a glitch and your money didn't go into your account or the money did go I but due to a bank problem, you couldn't access it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure