»

EON Overcharging grrrr

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

EON Overcharging grrrr

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
10 replies 2.2K views
Beaniepoo1Beaniepoo1 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
hi There,

I moved to Eon using the MSE switch service in November using actual figures from my yearly usage. I was previously paying £80, this covered the yearly use fine. EOn quoted £63 a month. no problem, or so I thought. In May, I called Eon when my direct debit went out of my account at £183, I thought there must have been a clerical error as three times the amount had been taken from my bank. after three calls, each on hold for about half an hour a time, I finally got through to be told that my direct debit had been changed to £183 for good as I was £600 in debt with them due to WINTER useage. a few weeks later, I got a message saying my direct debit would be increasing to £320 a month.....More than I earn a week. I cancelled my contract and was charged sixty pounds for it. I kept saying something must be wrong. I received a bill last week saying I needed to pay it that day for over £800 despite already paying already about £500 through direct debit. according to EON, I owed £1500 for 7 months and they blamed me for leaving them before I saw the benefit of summer use.....What, with a £300 DD, no thanks. I am not being listened to, I feel stressed out, let down and nobody from Eon wants to even look into why I have been overcharged. they said they can't provide any breakdown of use....I have now contacted the financial ombudsman to help. I have a friend who commented on a FB post I put...she has exactly the same problem and started the contract just before me and owes almost the same amount. EON Is chasing me for the money that they have no proof iI owe. SOMEONE Please help.

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop talking £, they are a bit of a red herring. How many kWh have you used, did you supply monthly meter readings, were you billed to those accurate meter readings or were estimates used ?

As for no proof you owe them money, they will be using meter readings from somewhere and billing accordingly. You need to look at those bills and check they are accurate.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lets take a step backwards.

What was the reading when you switched and what is your tariff.

Have you been reading your meter every month ? Please post the readings. It can be very easy to mis read 1234(decimal)5 can be read as 12345 resulting in a very high bill.

What are the (I presume) estimated readings on the bill?

Has your meter been changed recently?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Yes, I gave readings when asked to do so. if I had any idea that the DD was not covering it then I would have either cancelled the contract or increased the DD to cover it. I need to check the usage figures but how can it be so far out from the previous year, NOTHING at all has changed and the yearly Usage figures were used in the quote.
  • Thanks robin, I will have a check and get back to you.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcE.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beaniepoo1 wrote: »
    hi There,

I moved to Eon using the MSE switch service in November using actual figures from my yearly usage. I was previously paying £80, this covered the yearly use fine. EOn quoted £63 a month. no problem, or so I thought. In May, I called Eon when my direct debit went out of my account at £183, I thought there must have been a clerical error as three times the amount had been taken from my bank. after three calls, each on hold for about half an hour a time, I finally got through to be told that my direct debit had been changed to £183 for good as I was £600 in debt with them due to WINTER useage. a few weeks later, I got a message saying my direct debit would be increasing to £320 a month.....More than I earn a week. I cancelled my contract and was charged sixty pounds for it. I kept saying something must be wrong. I received a bill last week saying I needed to pay it that day for over £800 despite already paying already about £500 through direct debit. according to EON, I owed £1500 for 7 months and they blamed me for leaving them before I saw the benefit of summer use.....What, with a £300 DD, no thanks. I am not being listened to, I feel stressed out, let down and nobody from Eon wants to even look into why I have been overcharged. they said they can't provide any breakdown of use....I have now contacted the financial ombudsman to help. I have a friend who commented on a FB post I put...she has exactly the same problem and started the contract just before me and owes almost the same amount. EON Is chasing me for the money that they have no proof iI owe. SOMEONE Please help.
    Beaniepoo1 wrote: »
    Yes, I gave readings when asked to do so. if I had any idea that the DD was not covering it then I would have either cancelled the contract or increased the DD to cover it. I need to check the usage figures but how can it be so far out from the previous year, NOTHING at all has changed and the yearly Usage figures were used in the quote.

Hello Beaniepoo1 and welcome to the Forums.

That was certainly a big hike and I can understand your concern. As molerat and Robin9 say, have a look at the meter readings and how much energy has been used in kWh. Specifically, the opening readings in November and the closing readings from our final bill. These closing readings will have come from your new supplier and should be the same as they've used to open their account. Stops the same energy from being charged twice.

The difference between the opening and closing readings will give you the total number of units we've billed to during your time with us. If these are actuals and not estimates, it'll be an accurate picture of the amount of energy used. If you were on a Fixed Tariff since joining us, the unit prices and daily standing charges won't have changed. These plus the usage will let you see how we've billed the energy used.

I'm sorry our advisor said we couldn't give you a breakdown of how much energy had been used. This advice was wrong as these details are listed on our bills. If you registered with our website, you'll still be able to see these bills online now even though you've switched away. Please log in with your username and password. If you didn't register online, ask the Resolution Manager looking after your complaint for copy bills.

With Monthly Direct Debits, the aim is for accounts to have as near to a zero balance as possible by the annual review. We check them quarterly and, if needed, make changes at the mid-point and annual reviews. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think a change is necessary (via a message on the bills) but leave it up to you to amend the monthly payments. The Direct Debit Manager on our website can be used to make these changes (up to 20 per cent up or down with readings; up to 5 per cent up or down without readings).

Sorry to lose you Beaniepoo1.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RaxielRaxiel Forumite
    965 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    No mention if this is for duel fuel or just electricity.

We did have an exceptionally cold winter this year, my gas usage is up 3000 kWh on the year before. If you used electric heating and didn't have the best insulation I could see a big spike.
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are still waiting for Beaniepool1 to come back to the forum with meter readings - until then we can only guess.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Stuart_HerronStuart_Herron Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Eon...I was a customer for over 16 years...pain monthly via direct debit...never missed a payment.  New meter fitted by Eon in January 2018...then the problems started...firstly advised me my monthly d/d to increase from £86 to....wait for it..£359 per month ! Then  back bill to Nov 2014 for £2550 ! Much correspondence between me and now 17 different people in Eon !...Ombudsnan got the figure down to £1550...but this is more than we use in 14 months. Off to court in March, I have all the records of kWh used going back 10 years....got this from Eon after one year of requesting. Suggest everyone having such problems with Eon contact the Directors complaints office and request all the past kWh usage....you may find you have been overcharged for years....also contact Ofgem about backbilling beyond 12 months, basically no longer allowed. I have spent many hours working on my case and will invoice Eon accordingly.
    Looking forward to going to court.

Stuart
  • edited 28 February at 4:39PM
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcE.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February at 4:39PM
    Eon...I was a customer for over 16 years...pain monthly via direct debit...never missed a payment.  New meter fitted by Eon in January 2018...then the problems started...firstly advised me my monthly d/d to increase from £86 to....wait for it..£359 per month ! Then  back bill to Nov 2014 for £2550 ! Much correspondence between me and now 17 different people in Eon !...Ombudsnan got the figure down to £1550...but this is more than we use in 14 months. Off to court in March, I have all the records of kWh used going back 10 years....got this from Eon after one year of requesting. Suggest everyone having such problems with Eon contact the Directors complaints office and request all the past kWh usage....you may find you have been overcharged for years....also contact Ofgem about backbilling beyond 12 months, basically no longer allowed. I have spent many hours working on my case and will invoice Eon accordingly.

Stuart
    Hello Stuart and I'm sorry we were unable to reach an agreed resolution with this.
    Please contact our Ombudsman team if you need any further information from us about this specific complaint. As this is now at their level, only these advisors will be able to help. For any other queries, please contact us as before.
    Thanks Stuart.
    Malc

Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuart
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have given no detail for being 'overcharged'  and thus building up a debit balance.
    If you have been to the Ombudsman, it will make any court claim more difficult.
    Presumably you are going to the Small Claims court?
    Let us know the results of your court case please.