New Post Advanced Search

Car insurance claim 15 months after damage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 439 views
kat74kat74 Forumite
82 posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
About 15 months ago my neighbour reversed in to my car, causing cosmetic damage to the bumper (I!!!8217;ve had quotes from £600-£800 for repair).
We have a good relationship; she admitted the damage, and put a note through the door (which I still have) apologising and taking responsibility for the repair. She asked to do it outside of the insurance, which I had no objections to at the time.
I!!!8217;ve shown them the quotes and asked her, and her husband, several times to progress !!!8211; they assured my they will, but nothing has moved on.
I!!!8217;m insured with the same company as I was when the damage occurred. Could I make a claim for this, or has too much time elapsed?
I don!!!8217;t want to ask my insurer yet, in case it will affect my premiums!

thanks

Replies

• k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take quotes, knock on their front door and when they answer tell them you're booking it in on Monday to the garage of their choice and can you have their details to give the garage for payment as the job starts.

If they stall again then report to your insurance company but expect a long series of questions on why you waited 15 months rather than 15 hours to sort this
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You got taken for a ride, your supposed to report all accidents to the insurer, you risk your insurance being cancelled for declaring it so late, never trust anyone other than yourself in these incidents.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie/ Bowelhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support