Unmarried separation - agreement

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
1 reply 669 views
Horizon81Horizon81 Forumite
1.6K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
I'll keep this brief, but in short I'm looking for advice regards an agreement or legal document (?) that I'll need to formalise a separation agreement.

Basically, my ex-partner and I (unmarried) lived together in my house for the last 3 years. The house is in my name only, and I bought it before we met. For the past 3 years we split all bills, including mortgage payments.

The split is amicable and we have discussed me paying my ex a lump sum payment in light of the fact that she contributed to my mortgage for the past 3 years. She has now moved out. We've agreed on a sum that is satisfactory to both parties. The thing is, I need to cover my backside. I want this to be the end of the matter, the full and final settlement. I wouldn't want to be pursued for more money later down the line and although things are amicable at the moment, nobody knows what the future holds.

So... what sort of document do we both need to sign? Is there a template online anywhere? Am I best off using a solicitor?


  • RubikRubik Forumite
    315 Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    Sounds like you need a separation agreement. Avoid internet templates at all costs, and make sure you use a family law solicitor to write an agreement that is tailored to your specific agreement and situation. You should be able to find a fixed fee service - if not, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides