Administrator rights

Options
I use a graphics software called Flame Painter, and wanted to download some brushes from their site. You can either download them manualy, or drag them into the program. I tried the latter, and it said the brush could not be downloaded. I tried a couple more, and the same thing. I decided to do it the manual way, and clicked download. It opened up a dialogue box, to select the folder I wanted to put the brush. I found the folder, in the program folder, but when I tried to download, I get the message, that I don't have permission to save to this location, and to contact the administrator. It's my pc, I haven't set up any accounts, so would assume, I am the administrator.

Comments

• DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to state what operating system your computer is running so people can advise the specifics.

But basically save the file download elsewhere and then copy across afterwards.
  • Robm1955
    Robm1955 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm using Windows 10 64bit.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Save to your desktop or the download folder not the program directory.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Robm1955
    Options
    Thanks. Done that, but still doesn't explain why I have to.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Several important Windows system folders are protected from modification by users, even with Administrator privileges. It's to save Windows from being inadvertently screwed up.

It takes an amount of effort and programs such as TAKEOWN and ICACLS to overcome these defences, but here I say "don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing" - a reinstall of Windows might be necessary to recover... :(
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    right click on the exe and select Run as Administrator
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    that wrote: »
    right click on the exe and select Run as Administrator

The issue is requiring Administrative rights to save the file to a protected directory; not requiring admin rights to run a program. :)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl - Thanks

Wonder if it read only permissions, or security permissions? Could try a chkdsk first to see if it is a disk corruption too?

Subinacl is the best, but trickiest (but need not be) rights replacement tool i have ever used on a protected folder. Does things Takeown would not touch. I ended up at looking at an unprotected folder and saving the results as text, then modifying the text and applying those rights and count to the protected folder.

If the site must have a forum and others have had the same experiance?
  • Robm1955
    Options
    Had to save them to a seperate folder, then copy them to the required folder. Thanks for all the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure