Talktalk punished twice?

Options
My Talktalk bill was due on 11th July, I am unable to pay it until 31st. They have disconnected both my landline and my broadband as well as charging me £12.50 for late payment.

As they will have disconnected my services for 12 days will I receive a refund of those charges as I had no service? It seems wrong if I don't as they have charged me the £12.50 fee.
Debt on 25/5/17
Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My Talktalk bill was due on 11th July, I am unable to pay it until 31st. They have disconnected both my landline and my broadband as well as charging me £12.50 for late payment.

As they will have disconnected my services for 12 days will I receive a refund of those charges as I had no service? It seems wrong if I don't as they have charged me the £12.50 fee.

You can ask them, but I suspect they'll say no.

The £12.50 is a penalty for non-payment. Although businesses aren't usually allowed to fine customers, certain regulators have agreed that a fee of around £12 is permitted to cover the costs of missed payments.

You've also been disconnected because: why would they provide you with a service you haven't paid for?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They will charge you for the disconnected period, after all, they were prepared to supply you had you honoured the contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure