Road repair for disabled access

Options
I live on an unadopted road and it is in a bad state of repair with very large potholes in it. I know the council won’t repair it but my problem is I regularly see my elderly neighbour take out her disabled husband for appointments etc. She really struggles with the wheelchair if we see this we do help but we work and are not always around when they need to go out. I was just wondering if there is a fund or something we could apply to and get the road fixed. The road really is an accident waiting to happen. We can’t pay for it ourselves as most of the households down here are retired, in fact out of about 13 houses only 2 households work the rest are all retired. It’s too much for us to pay on our own otherwise we would. Any suggestions would be great as I really feel for my neighbours
Make £5 a day in May total so far £2

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there anything here that might help? https://www.disability-grants.org
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately it would be down to the landowners to pay for the resurfacing, which is normally the homeowners of the street.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So because of a disabled person on your road,you expect someone(?) to pay to resurface your private road?
    Imagine the precedence.
    I dont think you have thought that through. You say the households are mainly retired. So likely many will also be mortgage free.
    Just like all home owners. We have costs that come with those houses.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options
    The road really is an accident waiting to happen.

And if an accident does happen, you will all find yourselves liable in the event of a claim for compensation.

The only sensible course is to get some quotes for repairing the road and divide them by 13, reminding the other owners of their legal obligations under the Occupiers Liability Act.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2018 at 2:40PM
    Options
    "Off road' type of wheelchair?

Or an adaption to existing chair. ie ....https://www.spokz.co.uk/off-road/freewheel/freewheel.html
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options
    Buy a second one for the postman for when Royal Mail refuse to deliver your post because the road's too dangerous.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • badgerbread
    badgerbread Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    So because of a disabled person on your road,you expect someone(?) to pay to resurface your private road?
    Imagine the precedence.

Imagine having the audacity to find out if there is help out there for elderly and disabled neighbours who are mainly living on pensions. I apologise didn’t realise this was such a bad thing to try and find out. Shame on me!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Imagine the precedence.

Imagine having the audacity to find out if there is help out there for elderly and disabled neighbours who are mainly living on pensions. I apologise didn’t realise this was such a bad thing to try and find out. Shame on me!

Yes,try the victim card. It fits you fine.
    They maybe on pensions. They may also be mortgage free on healthy pensions.
    Being retired and disabled doesnt automatically mean you are on a low income.
    If you are so concerned. Why not look at the cost of having a path installed. After all they arent driving,so why would they need a road?
  • badgerbread
    badgerbread Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    There is no space for pavement you can only fit one car down at a time and if there are pedestrians they have to stand into front gardens to let the car go.if you meet another car one of you needs to reverse either back into your driveway or out of the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport