BT looking for more info so I download my bill

Joe91
Joe91 Posts: 10 Forumite
When I went to download my latest BT bill I was asked to give some additional info including my date of birth. BT gave some spurious reasons including improving my security. I fail to see why they need my date of birth and in any case who ever gives the correct one? Now I cannot download my bill and just to add insult to injury they want to charge me if my bill is posted to me. Anyone else got caught in this trap?
J

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Nope, no issues for me downloading my bill yesterday. Are you positive this was the genuine BT site?

So you'll give BT your name, address, bank details, browsing history and phone records, but won't give them your DoB? Seems a bit of an extreme reaction. A few companies now seem to use DoB as one of their security checks if you call them so BT are not alone in this.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know what you mean about date of birth and not wanting to give out too much, but i guess they may need it for a credit check so you have to give the right one. Probably have to give them a call or chat to get it sorted.
  • mije1983
    boatman wrote: »
    but i guess they may need it for a credit check so you have to give the right one.

This is what made me think it was possibly not the genuine BT site. I thought they did a credit check when you signed up? So they would already have this information. Or maybe they were asking the OP to confirm it as a security question to access their bill?

It sounds like the OP already has a BT account, so a new credit check is unlikely.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Joe91 wrote: »
    Now I cannot download my bill and just to add insult to injury they want to charge me if my bill is posted to me.

Are you saying that you give a spurious DoB and can't now remember it? Whose fault do you think that is?

Clue: It's not BT's
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No problem here log in and download bill monthly .
  • Joe91
    Joe91 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I've been downloading my bills monthly since 2011 so my BT Id is well established and I'm quite familiar with accessing my account. I was a BT customer for close on 20 years before that. Yes, it was the pukka BT site. The agent I spoke tried to tell me that collecting my date of birth was to improve security. I would have thought that the more info they have about me the weaker my security would be especially something as critical as date of birth.
    J
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just wonder if their has been a false attempt to gain access to your account .

If i speak to BT re my account they ask for phone postcode and dob .
  • mije1983
    Joe91 wrote: »
    I've been downloading my bills monthly since 2011 so my BT Id is well established and I'm quite familiar with accessing my account. I was a BT customer for close on 20 years before that.

So it seems that they are just asking you to provide the information that they ask of new customers for their security checks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure