We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Pressure Canning
penny-wise
Posts: 11 Forumite
I am looking at getting a pressure canner to preserve my garden harvests and meat on sale, etc without relying on the freezer.
I know some of you on this board have pressure canners, can I ask what jars you use? I've found a deal online where I can get Ball widemouth jars for £1.30 a jar, which is the best I've found so far. Can I get them, or other jars, cheaper?
Also, is pressure canning really necessary? Or is it overkill to prevent a risk which isn't very great to start with? In my quest for jars I found Le Parfait jars and their website has loads of recipes, including low acid foods and meats, preserved in a waterbath not a pressure canner. If I am to believe most US canners, then anyone who consumes meat or low acid veg that hasn't been pressure canned is certain to die from botulism. I don't know who to believe anymore.
I know some of you on this board have pressure canners, can I ask what jars you use? I've found a deal online where I can get Ball widemouth jars for £1.30 a jar, which is the best I've found so far. Can I get them, or other jars, cheaper?
Also, is pressure canning really necessary? Or is it overkill to prevent a risk which isn't very great to start with? In my quest for jars I found Le Parfait jars and their website has loads of recipes, including low acid foods and meats, preserved in a waterbath not a pressure canner. If I am to believe most US canners, then anyone who consumes meat or low acid veg that hasn't been pressure canned is certain to die from botulism. I don't know who to believe anymore.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards