No Deal Brexit and Savings

Options

Comments

• dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Going back to investments for a moment, would be interested if anyone thinks UK equities will benefit from Brexit?

I've often heard the stuff about abolishing EU regulations, but the majority of these are handed down from higher level bodies such as the UN and WTO - the so called "double coffin lid"
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2018 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Does anyone think Trump will give UK a good trade deal when he is levying tariffs on goods from EU, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea?
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Going back to investments for a moment, would be interested if anyone thinks UK equities will benefit from Brexit?

I've often heard the stuff about abolishing EU regulations, but the majority of these are handed down from higher level bodies such as the UN and WTO - the so called "double coffin lid"

Those with major international exposure ought to do well. I'd suggest BP for instance, with refineries and wells abroad, will do well in Sterling terms - effectively a hedge against sterling depreciation.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    Some fascinating reading in this. A shame that it's littered from time to time by little spats.

I've spat a little litter out.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Chadsman wrote: »
    Does any leaver think Trump will give UK a good trade deal when he is levying tariffs on goods from EU, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea?

Tomorrow Trump will offer the UK a trade deal that's "tremendous, just tremendous" the day after those pesky limeys will be ripping of America and hit with tariffs and quotas
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Chadsman wrote: »
    Does anyone think Trump will give UK a good trade deal when he is levying tariffs on goods from EU, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea?

No. He won't be giving us any wee hand. Bigly.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    By the time we're actually out and in need of a US trade agreement there's a fair to middling chance he'll be out of office.

But, given the way he's backtracked on so much of what he's said in business, I doubt he'd do anything if the main benefit wasn't in his interest.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Those with major international exposure ought to do well. I'd suggest BP for instance, with refineries and wells abroad, will do well in Sterling terms - effectively a hedge against sterling depreciation.

That's true to an extent, and a company like Diageo will be able to pay it's British workers in lowly sterling and sell their drinks for dollars or yen. But you might as well just invest directly in foreign companies
  • Chadsman
    Options
    sjp999 wrote: »
    By the time we're actually out and in need of a US trade agreement there's a fair to middling chance he'll be out of office.

But, given the way he's backtracked on so much of what he's said in business, I doubt he'd do anything if the main benefit wasn't in his interest.

Quite possibly - but we may be at the mercy of the whims of a different US plutocrat, or in 2025, or in 2029, or...
    God save the King!
  • Chadsman
    edited 25 July 2018 at 8:08AM
    Options
    ...and assuming he does not die or is forced from office he will be in power until (at least) January 2021 so UK will be trying to negotiate with Trump until after the end of a Brexit transition deal (even if that is agreed). Trade deals are not negotiated in a few days, they take years to be agreed and implemented, viz UK negotiations with EU. Leavers said the UK EU trade deal would be easy to negotiate. If this is easy what will difficult look like?
    China and EU can hit back by virtue of their size, the UK does not have that ability.
    God save the King!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure