Business Bank Account/Canal Boat

Options
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I've been running around in circles so far.

My situation is that I've been living on a canal box for just over 2.5 years, no permanent mooring (I move every 2 weeks). I've gotten around post by hiring a PO Box and that's been working fine. Until now...

I've recently just set up my business and no bank will accept my PO Box address as proof of identity - I knew I'd run into some trouble. Lloyds TSB refused (even though my personal account is with them), I've tried Metrobank because I heard good things and they told me that their search is based on an Equifax data base - so I contacted them, who said they use Royal Mail, so I contacted a nice guy on the phone there who said:

RM: Well, if you put your name at the top of that address, would it get to you?
Me: Yeah.
RM: Then your address is in our system, try the bank again.

Tried the bank. They've been promising to return my calls for over a week now but no such joy and I'm fast running out of options (and savings!) and I need to invoice soon to stay alive.

Can anyone advise on....anything really?! Just anything to move this forward. I'm not asking for a line of credit, just somewhere to dump my money each month. I have a UK passport, driving license etc. But I keep coming up against 'computer says no' and not an ounce of common sense so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mr S Hanlon

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LloydsTSB de-merged some years ago, so presume you're with Lloyds. If so try TSB as I have heard they are capable of thinking outside the box. I am also presuming that the address on your driving licence is your PO Box No. rather than an actual address, or have you used friend's/relative's address. Which could be another avenue to explore
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hanlon296
    Hanlon296 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Lincroft.

Yes, I'm with Lloyds (but will try TSB, thanks).

Address on drivers licence is a friends address, who is just going through a divorce - so that address will no longer be valid for much longer. Hence why I'm trying to find a sustainable solution.

I could give a family members address (I'm based in London, all family some +100 miles away), but that kinda defeats the point and I might not be home for 4-6 months or more.

Also, forwarding mail only last so long. I looked it up when I initially moved onto the boat, and I don't want to burden anyone with the task of forwarding my mail.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hanlon296 wrote: »
    Thanks Lincroft.

Yes, I'm with Lloyds (but will try TSB, thanks).

Address on drivers licence is a friends address, who is just going through a divorce - so that address will no longer be valid for much longer. Hence why I'm trying to find a sustainable solution.

I could give a family members address (I'm based in London, all family some +100 miles away), but that kinda defeats the point and I might not be home for 4-6 months or more.

Also, forwarding mail only last so long. I looked it up when I initially moved onto the boat, and I don't want to burden anyone with the task of forwarding my mail.

If you get a loan there's nothing to stop you changing your address to the PO Box No as "a temporary measure" a few weeks later.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you get a loan there's nothing to stop you changing your address to the PO Box No as "a temporary measure" a few weeks later.
    Agree: get the account open, then change the address!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport