Being told I can’t park on a public road by work

Options

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    They can terminate the employment of those who bring the company into disrepute, and it sounds like that's what happening.

I'm not sure the two year thing really matters here. If the residents continue to complain and the OP continues to park there following a written warning I think they'd have grounds for dismissal.

I'd be really worried about an employee who dug their heels in over this, talking about their legal rights and principles.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    However I would add, even after 2 years not complying with parking policy would be a perfectly valid reason to get rid of you.
    Are you suggesting that legally the employer can control how you get to/from work & where you park ?

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago where the Site team had received a complaint from residents and rather then asking for consideration from employees issued a blunt statement that it would become a disciplinary offence to park in said street. Statement was withdrawn within the hour on advice from HR/Legal/Unions and residents told if they want to control parking then they apply for restrictions via local council. Local council rejected their request.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    Wow the replies on here.

Yes you can park on the road and yes work can!!!8217;t stop you. However they also have stakeholder concerns to upheld - this being the local community.

I!!!8217;m not sure why you on-site car park space was taken away, or given to you, but there has to be some compromise.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Wow the replies on here.

Yes you can park on the road and yes work can!!!8217;t stop you. However they also have stakeholder concerns to upheld - this being the local community.

I!!!8217;m not sure why you on-site car park space was taken away, or given to you, but there has to be some compromise.

Which replies are you wowing at... Cant see many that havent said the exact same as you in the previous 10...
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that legally the employer can control how you get to/from work & where you park ?

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago where the Site team had received a complaint from residents and rather then asking for consideration from employees issued a blunt statement that it would become a disciplinary offence to park in said street. Statement was withdrawn within the hour on advice from HR/Legal/Unions and residents told if they want to control parking then they apply for restrictions via local council. Local council rejected their request.

Your company chose to deal with it in one way.

Clearly OP's company has chosen to deal with it another way.

Both are legal.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »

I am suggesting the employer can contractually tell the employee where they may park and how they can get to work. That is all fully legal.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fully wouldnt risk parking there. Had exactly the same situation at an old job of mine, 200+ staff and 50 spaces! total mess.

We all parked in a nearby residential street, some more considerately than others. The residents got hacked off with this, and started taking photos of the cars, and leaving notes on them, very agressive and threatening. Then a few scratches were found, wing mirrors torn off, all sorts.

Yeah thats illegal, but how can you find out who it was in a street full of people? Do you really want that aggro, or fear.

Your work dont like it, the residents dont like it, and if you like your job and car, just dont do it.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If this is the thing that was in the MEN a couple of weeks ago, I can massively see the side of the residents. Those roads are absolutely ridiculous during the day.

I can see everyones side, but your employer has no responsibility to you in terms of parking/getting to work and they will want their reputation in tact so it is unlikely to be an argument you will ever win.

Could you speak to some of the residents and if they have a drive way, rent it from them during the day?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm not sure why you on-site car park space was taken away, or given to you, but there has to be some compromise.

No there doesn't. Unless the contract of employment states that on-site parking is provided it can be withdrawn at any time. If it's not in the contract it's a perk not and entitlement.
    Although in this case the OP says that alternative parking has been made available by the company and a shuttle bus is provided. Whilst I can understand the OP being unhappy that the employer is trying to stop him parking legally on public roads, he needs to choose his battles. Assuming it's a regular shuttle the difference between parking on the street and parking where the company provides space is only a few minutes.
    The situation of being ordered not to park on public roads isn't unique to his employer. A large government building was enlarged near where I live and much car parking was lost. Staff started parking in local roads, local complained and staff were told they must not park in that area any more, end of story. No alternative parking areas were provided or suggested. Management attitude was that how staff get to work is not their problem as there is public transport in the area.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 1:15PM
    Options
    The real issue here is whether it is a 'reasonable management instruction' - yes you can legally park on a road as long as you comply with the highway code and within any parking restrictions however this is an employment issue.

Parking is always a contentious issue for residents living near businesses and even considerate parking becomes an issue if you can't get anywhere near your own home. I have this issue whenever I'm on annual leave - go to the supermarket etc and have to unload in the middle of the road and then park up roads away until after 5.30 when I can go and move my car closer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure