Being told I can’t park on a public road by work

Options
Hi all,

Very frustrating and strange situation at work.

I work on the outskirts of Manchester. My company has onsite parking but there’s an offsite car park around 10 minutes drive away, for which they have a minibus to and from. I had a parking spot for 5 months which has been taken away from me - no excuse given bar that it was only temporary. Anyway, majority of people who are made to park there are usually late to work because of delays and road closures etc. Long story short, it’s not ideal.

When my space was taken away two days ago, I started parking on a public residential road which is about 7 minutes walk, so it’s much more convenient. People started parking there when everyone started getting put off site due to a huge influx of new staff, and residents complained due to a lot of inconsiderate parking. People were leaving the cars on the grass etc, which I understand was not appropriate.

In the last two days though I have parked legally and normally, on the street, not blocking anyone in, etc. However, both days residents have complained.

I’ve received emails now from the facilities team telling me to not park there as there have been complaints.

My position in correspondence has been that I am parked legally on a public road and am well within my rights to, and that work have no legal standing or position to tell me where I can and cannot park, especially because it’s half a mile away from the company site.

They keep escalating this, and have now started CCing HR and my manager into emails, and I believe that they will try to discipline me. My contract does not mention parking at all, so again - they have no legal right to dictate my parking.

What can I do? It’s such a weird situation and whilst I know I could find somewhere a bit further to park, it’s the principle that is greatly upsetting me.

TL;DR - work won’t let me park onsite anymore, and keep telling me to not park on a public road half a mile away even though I am parked legally.

Thanks in advance :)
Kamal

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    The local residents are complaining, and the company wants to keep their reputation intact.

I would stop parking there. Youve been at this job less than 2years. They can fire you for no reason at all.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I agree, they have no right.

However, remember if you've been there less than 2 years they can get rid of you for any non-discriminatory reason. If you've been there over 2 years I would be tempted to write to HR asking under what law they are preventing you from parking on a public road and doing this act outside of work time.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The problem is they can choose not to employ you.

Employers like to cooperate with the local communities as the fall out often becomes worst case for everyone council imposed permits that residents have to pay for.

I guess your company knew it was you because they know your car registration.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it a works Van, company car or private car?

If private, how do they know where you work?

If company van, then yes they will take complaints seriously.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Is it a works Van, company car or private car?

If private, how do they know where you work?

If company van, then yes they will take complaints seriously.

Residents will know. Theyll be watching her park up and walk away from the road. It may be nosey neighbours, but its definitely a thing. It doesnt have to be a company van for the company to ask her to stop.

The inconsiderate parking will have soured it for everyone.

Out police HQ was recently relocated without a car park (super planning there) and they are causing havoc on local residential areas and its all 'kicking off' so to speak, and this is the police!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would stop parking there. Youve been at this job less than 2years. They can fire you for no reason at all.

However I would add, even after 2 years not complying with parking policy would be a perfectly valid reason to get rid of you.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    On the letter of the law of course nobody has the right to object to you parking legally in a road legal car.

However, the letter of the law does not apply here, as it will be a civil matter with regards to your employment contract. If the company has made it a policy to be neighbourly and respectful of local residents and it is made clear that you should use the off-site parking and shuttle bus, then this policy will form part of your terms of employment.

It then depends on how big of a fuss your employer wants to make of you breaching the company policies, some might say that it's not worth making a drama over (as it would if you were breaching the health and safety, or environmental policies for e.g.) but then, if the boss really needs to keep the neighbours on side (e.g. maybe it's a clause in the permit of use of the land for commercial purposes) then they have every right to start disciplinary procedures against you.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there any other on street parking maybe a few minutes further walk away that isn't being used so much by the employees? Maybe in another direction?
  • kamalious
    kamalious Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Residents will know. Theyll be watching her park up!
    I'm a him :)

My car is my personal one, not a company one. There's nothing in policy at all about where you can and can't park, but ultimately, you're all right. I've been here for less than two years so I don't fancy getting sacked for no reason... not until my mortgage completes anyway!

I'll have to park further. Time to build up that stamina!

Thanks for your help all.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree, they have no right.

However, remember if you've been there less than 2 years they can get rid of you for any non-discriminatory reason. If you've been there over 2 years I would be tempted to write to HR asking under what law they are preventing you from parking on a public road and doing this act outside of work time.

We have had people disciplined for parking (quite legally) in the residential streets surrounding our factories.

This is a large international, billion pound company which is heavily unionised and has it own proper legal department.

The disciplinary comes under the general heading of bringing the company into disrepute and being contrary to good relations with our neighbours (who have a very large say in any planning permissions which the company seek).

The union back the company in this matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure